StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a SV650 a couple of years ago and have owned 5 different HD's. I loved the SV but it seemed a little small with the wife on the back. Had plenty of power - just a small bike. My main concern with the 650 is that with hard bags & a top bag (loaded) with the wife, it might be hurting for juice. Although, I'm sure that a pipe, K&N & PowerCommander would make a huge difference. I'm probably not going off rode - just some dirt/gravel roads, mainly highway riding. Hopefully a long trip or two a year with the wife. I have read several postings about the fact the 650 doesn't come with hand guards or engine guards, but that shouldn't be to difficult to remedy.

So which will it be?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dl1000

If you have ridden many HD go for more torque with the 1000. Any question of riding two up even occationally go for the 1000. If your able to throw around a HD you will enjoy the nimbleness of the 1000. It's only 515lbs wet. At 90 hp and 60 ft/lbs of torque this is no furicious beast, especially when a top Liter bike comes flying past you. My bike tops out about 220 km/h. Go for the 1000 and you will not be disappointed. I like that Suzuki has brought out the DL650, but I cannot stand cheap swing arms on a bike.

Scooter

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scooter, could you comment more on the swingarm thing?
I don't doubt it, they have to be saving money somewhere, but what difference would it make?TIA Tom

·
Registered
351 Posts
sa

All bikes are built to a certain profit margin. The extruded swing arm will make little difference on the power out put of the 650. I'm a machinist and astetically I like the appearance of the cast swing arm on the 1000.
I also noticed that the clutch lever is not adjustable on the 650. They are both excellent bikes, but with me being 240lbs I think the 1000 is a better choice for the big person. They are both highly versitile bikes.

Scooter

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm 5'7" and 150#, with a 31" inseam. I have the Suzuki/Givi bags on my '02 1000, and can't imagine what it would be like to give up 350cc. I sat on both bikes side-by-side at the dealer the other day, and really couldn't tell any difference in height or weight. I can think of a few occasions when that extra horsepower came in handy! I guess if you are limited by your finances, the 650 would be fine, but I think the 1000 represents and even better value. Just my $.02 worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts