StromTrooper banner

Still not right!

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  650VTwin 
#1 ·
I finally got my Givi windscreen from TT and installed it on my MadStad, but I'm still getting bashed and beaten to death!

I'm going to try raising the bracket another notch, but if that doesn't work I'm going back to the stock sheild. At least the stock unit doesn't turn into a sail in a cross-wind.:p

-T

#2 ·
Did you try the Givi by itself? I've got one and the air behind it is TOO still, so I use an MRA with a lip instead. I'm not a fan of that bracket. To me, the bikes that have one resemble those ancient jeeps with flip down windscreens.

#3 ·
I finally got my Givi windscreen from TT and installed it on my MadStad, but I'm still getting bashed and beaten to death!

I'm going to try raising the bracket another notch, but if that doesn't work I'm going back to the stock sheild. At least the stock unit doesn't turn into a sail in a cross-wind.:p

-T
Oh man, don't tell me that! I should have a Givi here by Wednesday!

#5 ·
I am a newbie to the Wee but I have been riding for 35 or so years now. I, by suggestion of this site put on the Madstad bracket and Givi shield. I works for me. I noticed a big difference in height adjustment and angle. Everytime I go for a ride I try a different adjustment. I have the best adjustment marked that feels the best. I noticed there is alot of air coming up and around the tank. Maybe lower air wings might help.

#6 ·
A little more tweaking

With the MadStad in the center position, I find that if I raise the Givi all the way up and lean it all the way back I ride in reasonably clean air. Lots of air, but reduced buffeting.

It's a start.

-T

#7 ·
With the MadStad in the center position, I find that if I raise the Givi all the way up and lean it all the way back I ride in reasonably clean air. Lots of air, but reduced buffeting.

It's a start.

-T
Try the lowest settings with the lean angle back. I keep saying this, higher is not always better. :D

#11 ·
I know, I know, I'm not quite 6' but you have your screen up 10" more than I do. Are you looking for clean air or no air? Not trying to be an a##hole, just trying to help. The bad air is coming IMO from the air being dumped over a windshield that is to far forward. If you can get clean air to hit you about the face shield, thats pretty good. I met a guy at the dealership last summer when he was getting service who was 6' 8" and using the stock screen with a MadStad and quite a bit of lean. I think the biggest difference is everybody's opinion on how much air they should get. Have you ridden a new Gold Wing, if your tall thats not pretty either.

#9 ·
So far I have found that the nicest position is full up and full back. This is not perfect either and changes when Jo is not doing the rear steering:-D
I am going to try and close most of the huge gap at the bottom of the Givi and see what that does. I am not going down the track of having multi different screens. I'm 6' by the way, 183cm or 0.00183km!:mrgreen:

#14 ·
BigT, you're a tall guy, how far back do you sit, and are you straight up and down? The reason I ask is your head may be up where the air pocket collapses. On one of these forums I saw a guy who had his seat redone to look like a dirtbike, filled in the front so it was straight across. It gave him more room for his legs as well as allowing him to scoot his butt back, giving him a natural lean. That might put your head into a good zone. Just a thought. Good luck, hope you find a solution.

#15 ·
Too much air

Mabey I could use a Givi Windscreen too. I have the stock screen on a Madstat now and have no problems with the air stream clearing my helmet (I am 5' 6"). I can hold my hand out and feel the airstream coming up the inside of the screen and over my helmet. Thought that was unusual. My problem is the air blast on my arms. Does the Givi screen help there? I am turning in my BMW R80RT which has too much faring. It's great here (S. Louisiana) but it's just too hot in the summer. No Air, Hot Feet! Now I have the Wee Strom and like it. It just needs a little tweeking. I am going to make some small plexiglass spoilers to redirect the air coming over the tank sides. That may help some too.

#16 ·
I am going to make some small plexiglass spoilers to redirect the air coming over the tank sides. That may help some too.
OH do let me know how that turns out.
In Chicago I want as much wind off of me as I can get.

#19 ·
"Higher is not always better" -- that's an important discovery for me. After picking up my new Wee-Strom this past weekend, I fitted a Madstad and started experimenting with various settings. Having never ridden a bike with a screen before, I wasn't sure what I should expect regarding turbulence and buffeting. Long story short: I thought the turbulence and buffeting were at a minimum with the (stock) screen in its LOWEST position, with maximum tilt angle. I’m on the tall side (6’3”, 34” inseam), so this came as a bit of a surprise.

This thread answered my "clean air vs. no air" question before I even asked it. Coming from a naked bike, I like air, but I'm used to having it be clean. Fiddling around with the screen and the Madstad bracket, I thought at first I might get "no air" -- that doesn't seem possible without a taller screen, so now I'm trying to decide whether the "fairly clean air" result is something I can live with. Might need a few hundred more miles to decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.