StromTrooper banner

Still need my training wheels

1504 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  BillZ
So I enjoyed the day riding in Southern Indiana and I'm on this great little road(262 to Rising Sun for you Hoosiers) and I get behind this sloooooow pickup and so I decide to pull over to wait. It was right after the good twisty stuff so I figured maybe I'll just backtrack a bit and start over........damn pea gravel mixed with the regular gravel dropped me quicker than a greased up pig. Thankfully the Givi bars did their job. The past few weeks I've been contemplating on dropping some of the excess weight but I guess maybe the crash bars should stay. That makes four drops in roughly three years, the last being about a year ago. One these days I might outgrow these damn things but they certainly have saved me some money.:headbang:

I know we always talk about crash bars but do you have any regrets from running without?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
4,263 Posts
Maybe it's time to strap some pillows onto those crashbars.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
You saw the gouges on mine, right?

· Premium Member
1,106 Posts
No kidding but I helped my father create some training wheels for his (very steep rugged hill to his house and he's short) 650, that clip on and off real quick for slow speed maneuvers. Its amazing what welders can do. I"ll post up a thread on it soon, once I have the pictures and video ready.

· Registered
522 Posts
Kevin be careful out there. I think your Wee has enough character marks on it already:yesnod:

Let me know how you liked the roads there in SE Indiana. I was thinking of putting together another ride this fall traveling through that area.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Pipe insulation works very well. I know a guy who knows a guy whole who knows a guy.........................................
I found some vinyl tubing lying around the garage and out of idle curiosity, slit it and put it on one of SW Motech engine guards, not to protect the guard but to conceal the aforemention gouges to prevent people from posing probing queries.

· Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a pint can of black Rustoleum, need the quart size now. I'm not quite ready for the garden hose look. :biggrinjester: I might need a more substantial drop for that.

· Registered
3,864 Posts
Well, as long as you didn't scratch that purdy orange paint... :biggrinjester:

Glad you're OK too, of course!

I've never dropped my Vee, but I did get it a bit cheaper because the PO did. The crash bars did their job, and the only noticeable damage was a bent clutch lever. Heck, it's still got the original front turn signals!

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts

· Registered
729 Posts
I got some gouges on my bars and I wear them like war wounds or badges of courage. I've earned them and I damned sure am gonna show 'em off. :beatnik:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.