StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah; getting those sag settings are tough when you only have a petite 15yo daughter to help. :) But we did our best, and I found that with the preload adjusters all the way in I have 44mm sag; with them all the way out I have a 49mm sag. Murphy didn't win this time, and I saw a 1.0 etched into the flat of one of my springs (the other one is upside down apparently). :) So it looks like I do indeed have the springs I ordered.

So it looks like my first order of business is to lengthen the spacers by 1/2" and re-check sag.

And also add some more oil.

And maybe replace the seal on my left fork, if my home-made seal saver doesn't do the trick.

It's always something! :)

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Yeah; getting those sag settings are tough when you only have a petite 15yo daughter to help. :) But we did our best, and I found that with the preload adjusters all the way in I have 44mm sag; with them all the way out I have a 49mm sag. Murphy didn't win this time, and I saw a 1.0 etched into the flat of one of my springs (the other one is upside down apparently). :) So it looks like I do indeed have the springs I ordered.

So it looks like my first order of business is to lengthen the spacers by 1/2" and re-check sag.

And also add some more oil.

And maybe replace the seal on my left fork, if my home-made seal saver doesn't do the trick.

It's always something! :)
Hmmm, IIRC the adjusters have 15mm or so of range, so you ought to get very close to that much difference in sag.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm using the maxima racing fork oil because of that very chart, @Big Boy . :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So, since there's no rebound adjuster on our forks, what causes / controls the rebound? Is it just the springs that cause the rebound? I suppose it would have to be. I know the oil adjusts the compression; does it also affect rebound somehow?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Oil getting pushed through small orifices is what gives you damping, both compression and rebound. Without independent adjustment you use oil to control total damping, the ratio between compression and rebound is fixed. The spring converts the kinetic energy of wheel travel to potential energy stored in the compressed spring. Rebound damping converts that energy to heat, which then dissipates. Compression damping slows the rate at which the forks (or shock) compress.

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Also, I'd forgotten that you're the bent rim guy.

Between that thread and this one there's a pretty obvious conclusion to draw. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bwahaha! I don't have enough money for a dirt bike Rich! 😂

21 - 28 of 28 Posts