StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took measurements and ordered some springs today in the hopes of reducing the windscreen bounce on the Vee2. The first attempt will be a second spring set that will exist inside the existing spring.

Will update as soon as they arrive and are tested.

On a related note, it occurred to me that the springs could be replaced with low cost mini-linear actuators. Along with the DPST switch someone could have a electric operated windscreen that would not have the spring play of the existing set up.

The length of the existing spring varies only about 1" over the full range of adjustment. While it may seem silly at first to have an electric adjustable windscreen when the Givi AF3105 works so well over a 7" range of height, but if the springs don't do the job this might be a good option. It would stiffen the screen substantially while retaining adjustability.

Fingers crossed.:smile2:

Update" Springs arrived, will install tonight and update thread.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Rick,
Is this so your over the dash gps shelf will be more applicable for use on rougher trails?

·
Vendor
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IDRIDR,

Theoretically - yes.

Here is how do do it.

The springs I chose are from McMaster Carr. McMaster-Carr

They fit inside the stock springs and have about 125% of the pull of the stock springs so stability is more than doubled.

To install line one end of the springs as shown in the next photo. Then slip over this part over the bottom mount.

Using a pair of pliers (lineman's pliers work well) grasp the inner spring and insert it into the upper mount hole. Then do the same with the stock "outer" spring. Remember they are springs and can be twisted as needed to make their way into the hole.

Works great. No difference in operation, just a more stable platform for shelves and GPS mounts.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Just ordered a pair od springs from eBay. Not the same as yours but very similar. I don't have GPS mounted on screen brackets but my Givi Airflow on top holes makes the screen bounce too much for my taste. Let's see if additional springs will improve the stiffness.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Rick, The ics have disappeared from this thread. can you reinstall? also any update? Have you kept the new spring in place? Any negative factors. I do have a Givi airflow, but i keep it in the lowest position and then uses this spring loaded adjustment to make the change from city to highway, so reliability and wear of this operation is of concern.

Any feedback possible would be appreciated

·
Vendor
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a lot of links disapeared with the new format. I do like the new format though.

The only effect is that ou never ever think about vibration being a prolbem anymore. Works great. Simply install and never give them a thught again.

They were on McMaster Carr McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks Rick appreciated

I wouldn't normally ask a supplier for a comparison analysis, but I find your opinions amazingly refreshing for someone who could have an axe to grind so to easy.

I have elicited Ravetech from my thoughts of over the dash GPS mount. I am now trying to decide between yours and the Givi round bar thing mated to that quad lock like attachment mechanism. It is admittedly a m ore expensive system than your own, but you seem to have experience with competitive products so do you know any other pitfalls of their product. I have seen absolutely no reviews.

Thanks

PS, remember our discussion on the stock market. My RRSP is just about back to where it was pre cover. Hope yours did as well. I wished I had bought more, I talked a 10 on the fiscal bravery front. I suspect a more honest self evaluation would have been a 6.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts