StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. My 2004 litre Strom seems to have a sticky speedo pointer. When turning on the ignition, sometimes both pointers do their little dance and sometimes it's just the tach needle only. In those cases the speedo will not indicate speed until you have ridden maybe fifty feet and then it unsticks itself with a vengance. After that it works OK. The sticking is becoming more frequent.

Is this common? Sounds to me like a warranty replacement may be in order. Any feedback? Many thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sticky Speedo.

Hi Jeff. If you go over to the DL650 General board you will find a message I posted there in August entitled "Tachometer wins the race", it's about halfway down the page and describes the exact same condition that you have. I've been waiting for someone else to reply there but haven't heard anything yet. My guess is that a number of V-Stroms do this but I happen to be one of those individuals that always has my eyes focused on those guages everytime I start the bike, so the once in a while that it does happen I notice it immediately. I think most riders are looking elsewhere when they start their bikes, which is probably why there is so little feedback on this, so I'm guessing this is pretty much normal.

Dan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Never noticed it on my '02, but I'll start watching. If it's an '04 I'd definitely be making a warranty claim before the warranty expires.

Bob

P

·
0 Posts
My '03 DL1000 has never done that. I'd try to have it addressed as a warranty issue, particularly since you state that the sticking is becoming more frequent.

·
0 Posts
Sorry... I've been away for a while and just noticed this thread.

All instrumentation on my DL650 went wacky after about 3000 miles and then, shortly thereafter, they all went dead. Tach and speedo indicated 0 all the time, the fuel gauge always indicated full and the temp guage indicated overheating. My dealer replaced the circuit board, under warranty, and all's well now.

-Bob

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
new inst. panel

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your input. Did the instruments start going wacky a little at time or all at once?

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
0 Posts
Hi Jeff,

First the fuel indicator went then temp then speedo. The last thing to go was the tach.

-Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just traded for an 03 1K & the only problem I have found is the tach sitcks. It looks like the neeedle is actually bent down & touching the face. The face also looks kinda melted? Maybe the heat? Will be calling the dealer for replacment tach cost. Any deals on OEM Parts out there.

Bob...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey there -

Found this old thread and wanted to chime in. I noticed my tach needle stick about 1 in every 10 times. Either it won't go all the way around or not at all. Reads fine though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeff,

Saw your quote in 2004, and my 04 DL650 is developing the same problem. How did you get yours fixed, and what did you/they do to fix it?

I am thinking about a warranty replacement for it. I also lost both low beams (headlight) due to a burnt headlight wire connector. The speedo wires surround this burnt connector (yet to determine whether this could be the cause), or whether it is a faulty instrument circuit board.

Since replacement, has it played up again?

Thanks.

Dave Moore.

MWValley said:
Hey there. My 2004 litre Strom seems to have a sticky speedo pointer. When turning on the ignition, sometimes both pointers do their little dance and sometimes it's just the tach needle only. In those cases the speedo will not indicate speed until you have ridden maybe fifty feet and then it unsticks itself with a vengance. After that it works OK. The sticking is becoming more frequent.

Is this common? Sounds to me like a warranty replacement may be in order. Any feedback? Many thanks.

Jeff

Z

·
0 Posts
My '04 DL650 just started doing this as well. Noticed it a few days ago when I turned the key. The speedometer "whoopdeee doo'd" fine, but the tach just stuck there. It's happened twice in a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sticky speedos. Not too sure on sticky tachos. When I had a look behind the instrument panels, the speedo and tacho cores looked the same. So I expect the tacho could be similarily effected. The needles don't seem to touch the panel and rotate freely. Seems like sticking needles (when turning the ignition key) are a problem on a few 2004 DL650/1000.

As someone else got their instrument board replaced under warrentee (due to sticking speedo), I hope to do the same with mine :)

My speedo problems described:

Problem 1: Last Friday, I started riding to work. For the first minute of riding, I noticed the speedo needle around 20km/h, very slowly rising (while I was actually doing around 60km/h). First time this has happened. As time progressed, the speedo needle slowly caught up with reality (of the bike's speed). ie. after 5 minutes it was showing true speed. This happened on the same day, but before I lost both low beams (headlights) due to a burnt low beam wire connector behind left fairing panel. This speedo problem hasn't reoccurred (since then the speedo needle has reflected true speed). I do notice that sometimes it takes 20 metres from take off before the speedo starts working.

Problem 2: For a long time, most mornings, when turning the key to ON for the first time, occasionally the speedo needle struggles to move off it's rest spot (just flicks up and down 20 degrees), especially after the bike has been sitting for more than an hour. On the second go of turning the key to ON, just a minute later, the speedo needle does the full test swing as expected (270 degrees). The tacho needle has no problems doing the full test swing across the dial.

Dave.

Z

·
0 Posts
I sit corrected.

In my previous post, I said it was my tach that stuck, but I was wrong (I mixed up the position of the two in my head when I was writing). It's my speedo that sticks, and it consistently does it when the bike has been sitting for several hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would also like to confirm the sticky speedo problem on my '05 KLV1000. It started doing it for some unknown reason, about three months after I bought the bike.The problem persisted for two or three months, where the speedo needle would stick 1 in every 5 times I started the bike from cold and would then unstick as soon as I reached about 30 km/h.

Afterwards and for the last five months the problem had completely dissappeared, probably for the same unknown reason it appeared in the first place. And just about when I thought that the bike had 'matured' after clocking 8000 kilometers and that I would never experience the same problem in the future, it started doing it again a couple of weeks ago. :x

So far I was not able to link the problem to ambient temperature and/or moisture levels, so my next option is to try and tinker a bit with the electrical connectors.

Apparently the issue had been brought up before according to my local Kawasaki dealership and, should I choose to believe them, they are looking into it. However, if no solution is found, I'm planning to try and have the whole instrument cluster replaced a couple of months before the bike's warranty expires.

Z

·
0 Posts
Mine is still doing this just about every time the bike is cold. I assume I'm out of warranty (an '04 purchased used from private party), so I'm living with the problem until the tach stops working like it's supposed to. Then I'll pay to fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts