StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this bike last week and I am loving it. But the key is really hard to turn in the ignition, especially to get it in and out of the "Lock" position. I put a little bit of graphite in and it seemed to help a little, but thought I'd check here first before I put more in.

Any ideas on how to fix this, or is it worn out, or what?

Thanks,
Gray

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 09 and I have the identical issue. I would recommend cutting an extra key or two--just in case. It seems the ignition and lock are sticky on them. p.s. Don't go one past Lock to the Euro Park setting--it turns on the tail light and you wake up to a dead battery. Trust me. ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sorry, nothing really to add. Mine is pretty tight when pushing it into the hole (ooo-er, missus). It does turn OK, though, with positive detents.

That said, WELCOME to StromTroopers. And, bloody hell, that's a HUGE saddlebag!

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
801 Posts
Fate of many ignitions on daily-rider bikes, I believe related to wear. On mine, there is one exact proper alignment or else the key will simply not turn. You might try gently rocking the key to either side while turning. It shouldn't take too much twisting force.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fate of many ignitions on daily-rider bikes, I believe related to wear. On mine, there is one exact proper alignment or else the key will simply not turn. You might try gently rocking the key to either side while turning. It shouldn't take too much twisting force.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. It's a wiggle-turn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, nothing really to add. Mine is pretty tight when pushing it into the hole (ooo-er, missus). It does turn OK, though, with positive detents.

That said, WELCOME to StromTroopers. And, bloody hell, that's a HUGE saddlebag!

Cheers,
Glenn
Thanks, Yes, they are big. Lookng forward to big trips this summer.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
380 Posts
Gary this is a well know problem with the ign switches on the V-Stroms. I have 2003 and had the same issue with it. There are video out there on YouTube that show how to take the switch apart and fix the issue which requires some filing of the tumbler assembly. It's not hard to do after you get the switch off the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an 09 and I have the identical issue. I would recommend cutting an extra key or two--just in case. It seems the ignition and lock are sticky on them. p.s. Don't go one past Lock to the Euro Park setting--it turns on the tail light and you wake up to a dead battery. Trust me. ;)
Yeah, I noticed that on day one, good thing I saw it before I walked away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gary this is a well know problem with the ign switches on the V-Stroms. I have 2003 and had the same issue with it. There are video out there on YouTube that show how to take the switch apart and fix the issue which requires some filing of the tumbler assembly. It's not hard to do after you get the switch off the bike.
Oh wow, OK, I'll check it out and see what I can find. Thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
The switch gets gummy from grime inside it. I squirted mine full of carb cleaner then blew it out with compressed air several times until it operated freely. Put a rag under the switch to catch the stuff coming out. Then squirt silicone lubricant into the lock occasionally.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
15,800 Posts
i found on my 04 Wee that it was stiff. i push it down a couple times and it turns easily after that
Don't want to stress it, the plunge effort seems to make it work well.Some WD40 may help in the effort?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
First try the new / spare key route and if that don't work, perhaps the following links may be of interest sticky ignition lock fix (w/ pics) and
DL100 Ignition Switch Security Bolt Removal. It would appear that some of the pix in the 1st link have got lost along the way, but the write-up should still be of help. See the pix in post #39 of the 1st link, in case you need to trim the tumblers.

·
Registered
673 Posts
A little tiny squirt of WD40 once a year helps a lot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts