Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've only been riding for less than a year but I'm addicted to this bike! I've got a big MANcation planned with a bunch of buddies at the end of March and I'd like to ride my bike from Bellingham to Leavenworth.

My question is: Is it safe to ride over Steven's Pass this time of year considering my skill level, stock tires, etc...? I've ridden a bit in the rain but I don't know what I'd do if I got caught in snow while trying to cross the pass. Anyone have experience riding in the mountain passes while there is still snow on the ground? I'm a safe rider and feel confident enough to make the trip in the summer, I'm just a little hesitant about riding with the chance of hitting snow and ice.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Pass conditions in March or April are a day to day(Sometimes hour to hour) thing. Just check the weather report and hwy traffic cams before you leave. I drove the passes 3-4 times a week for years and found a lot more good than bad days this time of year.
Good luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
By the end of March, Stevens should be in good condition, but as noted above, it changes daily. Check the weather conditions and the pass cam on the day of departure. There have been some times when I have been crawling up and down the pass on the shoulder, with my blinkers on and a high pucker factor, due to snow or ice buildup on the road. I avoid riding in snow whenever possible due to the sliding factor.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can check the WSDOT App. it's up to date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys! The cams look like the road is in decent condition so I'll just keep an eye on it and hope the sun comes out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The road can be a bit patchy with the snow plow damage and it has seemed a little bit more so this ski season. Take care in the corners too as there are plenty that have dips and surface variations that you will be leaned over while encountering. Lastly the ski season is still going on and there are some pretty impatient skiers/boarders on their way to and fro, be attentive.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Keep in mind that Stevens Pass US-2 seems to have more than its share of head on crashes. Be careful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pick the best time slot, weather-wise, to go over the pass. Don't cross the pass in early morning or early into the evening. If I had to cross Stevens Pass in late March, I would want to hit Skykomish around noon or 1:00 and be in Leavenworth by 3:00. Just in time for cocktail hour.

And I would be prepared to change routes, e.g. to Snoqualmie Pass, about 1000' lower, and Blewett Pass, if I thought that would buy me an extra margin of safety.

Great thing about the Internet, smart phones, etc. -- you can access some really timely data when traveling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts