StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a question for all of you. Searched all over and haven't found much. What I would like to do is to install a standard stereo under the seat of my 650. I have found a good option in a marine stereo that offers a wired remote the I can mount to the handlebars, which is also waterproof. This would tie into a Baehr audio system. The problem is with space. The standard size on these radios is 7x7x2, which is a standard single DIN size. That's tight. I was looking maybe for something 1/2 DIN, but that's proving to be elusive. Has anyone here installed a standard stereo on their Strom? I also do not want to go with XM/Sirius, while that might fit, I'm a cheap SOB and don't believe I should pay for radio service.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I also thought of doing this. One other thing you might consider is putting the radio in a topbox. I eventually just went with the Sirius option. I'm a CHEAP SOB myself, but it honestly worked out for me better than I had hoped. The cost is less than $40 every 3 months and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Like you, I would have opted for a car/marine radio with remote if I could have found what I wanted. Good luck and let us know what you find.

bogey78

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I had thought about putting it my top case, but I really don't want to drill holes in it if I don't have to. Also I like the space that's available. And to top it off if I wanted to take the case off for something, I would still want the radio available. Regarding the Ham radio under the seat, what are the physical dimensions of the radio? Based on the size of the cubby and the size of the radio I want to get, if I get it in there I won't need anything to hold it in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts