StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone got a spanner steering stem socket they would like to loan???? I'll pay shipping both ways. Just thought I'd ask before I have to make one.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Anyone got a splined steering stem socket they would like to loan???? I'll pay shipping both ways. Just thought I'd ask before I have to make one.
I am not sure which V-Strom you own, or what year, (that information is helpful to someone responding, if you add it to your signature.)

I can tell you that, on a 2007 DL-650, there are no "splines" to deal with.

If you are just adjusting your stem bearings, the below article may be helpful to you. There are some photographs included that will give you some insight as to what is ahead of you, when you do the work.

Here is the link: How I Adjust The Steering Stem Bearings « Black Lab Adventures

B.L.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blacklab. Guess I messed that up. Edited the original post to say SPANNER socket.

I have an 05 project WEE. Gonna replace the steering stem ball bearings with tapered roller bearings.

For anyone who has installed the tapered roller bearings, did you follow the torque procedure in the maintenance manual? or just used a SWAG till the steering just felt right?????

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I did tighten the steering stem nut to 32.5lb-ft and ran the steering lock to lock to make sure everything was seated. After that, I operated by feel when backing off. I can't really describe the process any better.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Thanks Blacklab. Guess I messed that up. Edited the original post to say SPANNER socket.

I have an 05 project WEE. Gonna replace the steering stem ball bearings with tapered roller bearings.

For anyone who has installed the tapered roller bearings, did you follow the torque procedure in the maintenance manual? or just used a SWAG till the steering just felt right?????
I feel very strongly that the torque specification in the Service Manual is wrong.

The link that I provided is how I adjust my tapered roller bearings.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Great!

Excellent article, Barry! Every rider should aspire to this level of competence in servicing their bikes. I've been doing it for 35 years for a living but I think a lot of people are intimidated by simple mechanical procedures. I got started by watching the mechanic work on my bike and asking questions. Two years later I was an apprentice technician in a dealership up to my hips in mechanical work. Sometimes, in retrospect though, I think I should have taken the other opportunity and become a professional chef. Oh well. I can still keep my bike running and cook a decent dinner.:yesnod:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Excellent article, Barry! Every rider should aspire to this level of competence in servicing their bikes. I've been doing it for 35 years for a living but I think a lot of people are intimidated by simple mechanical procedures. I got started by watching the mechanic work on my bike and asking questions. Two years later I was an apprentice technician in a dealership up to my hips in mechanical work. Sometimes, in retrospect though, I think I should have taken the other opportunity and become a professional chef. Oh well. I can still keep my bike running and cook a decent dinner.:yesnod:
Thank you Jstrom! I just wished I had the level of training and competence you have! I have only been riding motorcycles since 2004, and doing my own repairs since 2007, when I purchased my DL-650. I have NO training whatsoever, and every job I tackle, is the very first time I am doing it!

I just have figured that, if I can do it, ANYBODY can!

B.L.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made my own SPANNER socket today, so I guess I will have one to lend. Waiting for the bearings to arrive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After reading Black Lab's How To, I thought I would try something different to seat the lower bearing onto the steering stem. Since I too had to cut off the lower bearing race, I decided to use the old upper inner race.

1) The small side of the old inner race is the same size as the small size of the new roller race and cage.

2) With a Die grinder and barrel sander attachment I increased in ID of the old race until it freely slipped over the steering stem. This was very easy probably could have been done with a dremel tool.

3) Next using a cutting wheel I cut through the bearing. This will allow more relief. If for some unforeseen reason it gets stuck it will allow for removal.

4 I plan to install the new roller bearing, slide on the modified old race and drive it down with an 1-1/4" PVC pipe.

NOTE: I have access to a 500 degree heat gun and dry ice that I plan to use to make installation of all the races easier.

I'm having a Tech Day at my place next Saturday the 18th. some other folks want to see how this works. So I'll post more after the install.

Attachments

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
After reading Black Lab's, I thought I would try something different to seat the lower bearing onto the steering stem. Since I too had to cut off the lower bearing race, I decided to use the old upper inner race.

1) The small side of the old inner race is the same size as the small size of the new roller race and cage.

2) With a Die grinder and barrel sander attachment I increased in ID of the old race until it freely slipped over the steering stem. This was very easy probably could have with a dremel tool.

3) Next using a cutting wheel I cut through the bearing. This will allow more relief. If for some unforeseen reason it gets stuck it will allow for removal.

4 I plan to install the new roller bearing, slide on the modified old race and drive it down with an 1-1/4" PVC pipe.

NOTE: I have access to a 500 degree heat gun and dry ice that I plan to use to make installation of all the races easier.

I'm having a Tech Day at my place next Saturday the 18th. some other folks want to see how this works. So I'll post more after the install.
Well Done!

Thanks for sharing this!

B.L.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update

I was making sure I had everything ready for the bearing install tomorrow and noticed a few things I wanted to post before I forgot.

1) In side the frame there are two cutouts (pic 1) for bearing removal. I know there is a tool for this, but I chose the punch and hammer method. I must have been up against the cutout with the punch at some point that is caused some raised metal on the bearing seat at the corner of the cutout. I removed the high metal and applied some Alodine.

2) I noticed that the seating surface of the tapered race (timken) is not as wide as the OEM race. I tried to show this in the pics. (the balls needed a wider surface area. Its a bearing thing) Since only about half the cutout is filled with the OEM race for removal, there will be even less available for removal of the roller bearing race if needed.

3) So if your thinking about this mod you might want to deepen the cutouts, incase you need or want to remove the roller race in the future. I think you could remove half to all the material in the cutout and still be structurally sound, there is very little load here and it is really just a stop for the for the race. Don't leave any sharp corners (that might propagate into a crack, lets say in the next 200 years or so).

This is just a suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The new roller bearings are installed. Went better than I thought. There was also a lot of help from the information and knowledge from this site that made the planning and installation easier. I want to thank everyone for sharing their info, Its a big help to all.

1) As I mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to enlarge the cutout slots for bearing removal, just in case I decided or needed to remove the bearing races in the future. don't think I will but I was in there and it was easy with a rotary file and dremel tool took about 10 minutes for top and bottom. (pic #1)

2) The drive tool I made out of the old race worked great. I did need a second have to study the steering stem while driving the race down. I did need a block of wood to place on the end of the PVC to drive it down.

3) I used dry ice to freeze the two races prior to installing them into the frame, and i also froze the steering stem before installing the race/rollers on the stem.

When I was done I made some plastic bottle noise makers (boom) Didn't want to waist the dry ice. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks

I was making sure I had everything ready for the bearing install tomorrow and noticed a few things I wanted to post before I forgot.

1) In side the frame there are two cutouts (pic 1) for bearing removal. I know there is a tool for this, but I chose the punch and hammer method. I must have been up against the cutout with the punch at some point that is caused some raised metal on the bearing seat at the corner of the cutout. I removed the high metal and applied some Alodine.

2) I noticed that the seating surface of the tapered race (timken) is not as wide as the OEM race. I tried to show this in the pics. (the balls needed a wider surface area. Its a bearing thing) Since only about half the cutout is filled with the OEM race for removal, there will be even less available for removal of the roller bearing race if needed.

3) So if your thinking about this mod you might want to deepen the cutouts, incase you need or want to remove the roller race in the future. I think you could remove half to all the material in the cutout and still be structurally sound, there is very little load here and it is really just a stop for the for the race. Don't leave any sharp corners (that might propagate into a crack, lets say in the next 200 years or so).

This is just a suggestion.
Thanks for #2 - very important as I am doing the same thing!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Dang it!

After reading Black Lab's How To, I thought I would try something different to seat the lower bearing onto the steering stem. Since I too had to cut off the lower bearing race, I decided to use the old upper inner race.

2) With a Die grinder and barrel sander attachment I increased in ID of the old race until it freely slipped over the steering stem. This was very easy probably could have been done with a dremel tool.

I thought that I was so clever figuring this out all by myself - until I found your post! I also found that I will need to grind the ID of the old bearing half, cutting it is not enough.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
For those about to do this job, manufacturing your own nut removal tool (that sounds nasty) isn't necessary unless you're finicky about establishing torque values when reinstalling. Just use a punch and hammer to break the nut loose. Same to reinstall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts