StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a steering stabalizer on their strom?

I hear about how great they are on sport bikes (CBR600RR comes to mind) but wasnt sure if they have any use on a bike like the vstrom.

I found this one:

SV Racing Parts | Store

It's the only one I have found for the bike. I am curious if anyone has one, or has tried one, etc? I am not a huge fan how its a big honking piece on your handlebars though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am waiting for Scots to make their bracket for the 14 Strom 650. I already have the damper. I have had it on every bike I have owned, all sportbikes. I hate riding without it now!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am waiting for Scots to make their bracket for the 14 Strom 650. I already have the damper. I have had it on every bike I have owned, all sportbikes. I hate riding without it now!!

your saying it doesnt work on a 12-14 dl650? but grey wolf has a picture of one on a 2012+ below.... ???

·
38,048 Posts
your saying it doesnt work on a 12-14 dl650? but grey wolf has a picture of one on a 2012+ below.... ???
Modification is required. See the link above the picture and go the the end of the linked thread.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modification is required. See the link above the picture and go the the end of the linked thread.
ah ok, but scot's is supposed to come out with a kit for the 2012+ soon? I will pr obably wait for that then. Id rather wait then have to modify my bike at all.

do they help in strong wind too?

·
38,048 Posts
I have no idea what Scotts plans are. The only real help you get from a steering stabilizer is going to involve prevention of quick, fairly high amplitude bar movements. It will prevent tank slappers and inputs that would want to take the bars out of your hands like ruts, pothole edges and road construction edge traps. With a stabilizer, you aren't like to get one of these.

It will not help you hold a line in windy conditions or keep you in your lane when you don't apply proper proper countersteering inputs. I stops violent movement of the bars only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
do they help in strong wind too?
For riding in strong winds do the following:
1. Keep your hands as light as possible on the bars.
2. Either point your windward knee out into the wind or relax your knees to let the bike move beneath you.

The tighter you hold on the more the bike will get blown around.

·
38,048 Posts
There you have it. Keeping a light grip with hands and knees and dancing with the wind is the way to go rather than trying to bolt something on. Strong gripping and fighting the wind is the worst thing. They don't call it a death grip for nothing.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
And---
---Install a fork brace
---Countersteer into the gusts
---If you can't stay in your lane, you gott'a get off the road. Either you pick a spot to get off, or the wind will pick one for you (and you might not like it).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And---
---Install a fork brace
---Countersteer into the gusts
---If you can't stay in your lane, you gott'a get off the road. Either you pick a spot to get off, or the wind will pick one for you (and you might not like it).

It's funny because i actually posted a thread about the wind and fork brace question I had. I did 1 bad day in the wind on the bike and was fine, next bad day in the wind was my first day with the fork brace and I felt terribly uncomfortable. THe consensus was the brace could not have made my handling in the wind worse. My guess is the wind was a little worse than the first day and maybe I was gripping harder than I realized.

I never found myself feeling like i was going to end up in another lane, that is the weird thing, I didnt feel like I was getting blown around at all in the wind, it was more of a general instability.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am also waiting for Scotts to make the bracket for the 2014. I have been riding with my Scotts damper for years and love it. Scotts reply was that they are working on it but do not have a completion date yet.

·
38,048 Posts
Scotts reply was that they are working on it but do not have a completion date yet.
It took me about two hours. They've been working on it for two years.

·
38,048 Posts
The main modification is to the stabilizer mount. If the hole was bigger and there was a slot near the front to accept the leading edge of part #17, it would work fine. It was easier for me to relieve the edge of part #17 to clear the mount and add a couple of small bolts to tie #17 and the mount together.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
At what range of speed we may expect the woobling fenomena on a Glee?
I understand we also reduce this effect by laying down tot he front (adding weight to the front wheel), but I was wondering if we have an specific range where this effect may easily happen

1 - 20 of 44 Posts