StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Inuvik for next Spring and thinking of adding a steering stabilizer. I have not had any luck finding one that is made for this bike, but there is a thread showing how to add one for a 650 with just one extra hole to drill on the mount. That sounded good, but the problem is, the Scott stabilizer wants to sit in between the handle bar mounts, right were I have my GPS, Delorme and my TPMS.

I could move the GPS above the instrument cluster, and the Delorme could go in my pocket (it should probably be there anyways), and the TPMS could be moved anywhere since it is rather small, however having the GPS up front I think would vibrate too much, and it may be too far away to be of much use. Thoughts on that?

Anyways, I was looking at what it would take to install a damper on the Forks instead and came across a picture that looks close to what the V2 has

These types of stabilizers are far less expensive than the Scotts, about 1/5th the price actually, but are they any good, and would it work in this location?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It was me that made the Wee unit fit the V2.

My TPMS is mounted at the front brake master cylinder.

For my GPS I used one of the ball mounts that replace the handlebar mounting bolts, RAM call it a handlebar clamp base.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was me that made the Wee unit fit the V2.

My TPMS is mounted at the front brake master cylinder.

For my GPS I used one of the ball mounts that replace the handlebar mounting bolts, RAM call it a handlebar clamp base.
Do you have a picture of your GPS mount? I am having a hard time imagining where you put that.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My R65LS BMW had a similar stabilizer on it. It's a nice addition to help in countering unwanted input. Too hip!
I kind of like the location of that, underneath and out of the way, as long as it works. Did you ever have to test yours?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
That should work. Yes, they work fine on road bikes.

There are two reasons the Scotts is popular, you can adjust it on the fly (I've never adjusted mine) the second reason is that that style of damper has a track record of coming adrift and jamming the steering. The Scott's don't do that.

So, yes it can work, I'd be generous with the lock-tite though and make a point of inspecting it regularly.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Do you have a picture of your GPS mount? I am having a hard time imagining where you put that.
I will have a look and see what I can do.

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
That exact same steering damper setup is what came factory OEM on my 1988 GSXR1100.
As I have never taken it off I cannot say how effective it is but the 1100 has always been stable unlike the GSXR750 I owned before it.
I have fitted steering dampers of this type to other bikes and their addition is very noticeable. They are usually adjustable but not to the extent of a Scotts damper.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think it was Rick that said the V2 could not take one and the upside down forks eliminated the need? Or maybe I dreamt that.:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That would describe the need for a fork brace, not a steering stabilizer. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-28 hole in my Scotts mount to the left of the stabilizer for a RAM ball mount but the main GPS is closer to the line of sight while riding when mounted high.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
"Did you ever have to test yours?"

If you mean did I put it to the test, yes. I had the bike on plenty of rough roads in the Sierra Nevada Mts. The roads off Hwy 49 can be a patch work of poor pavement or dirt roads.
It's like a fork brace. It just helps.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That would describe the need for a fork brace, not a steering stabilizer. I drilled and tapped a 1/4-28 hole in my Scotts mount to the left of the stabilizer for a RAM ball mount but the main GPS is closer to the line of sight while riding when mounted high.

Right. I stand corrected. AGAIN!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks good actually. Could even add a second ball mount on other side.

What mount was needed for the Scotts to fit the 650? I will probably end up buying the China Clone Damper since it is 1/4 the price.

I think the Mount kit bought locally will cost as much or more than the China clone Damper. How does that mount kit fit to the current handlebar mounts? Do you replace the top of the bar mounts?

·
38,103 Posts

·
Administrator
6,409 Posts
I think it was Rick that said the V2 could not take one and the upside down forks eliminated the need? Or maybe I dreamt that.:confused:
You must have. ? He would have been talking about the fork brace which holds both fork sliders together promoting a less flexy feel at the bars.
A steering damper prevents lumpy terrain and off center impacts from ripping the bars out of your hands. The quicker steering your bike the more effective they can be at preventing loss of control.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Strangely when I look at pictures of the mount kits, it doesn't show any replacement handlebar mounts.

That is not the Wee kit and it can not work without some way of tying the damper to the bars ?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
GPS, the silver thing on top of the GPS is a lock I built.

The TPMS is held in place by a single cable tie around the mirror stork and its a great spot for it.

·
38,103 Posts
The picture of the mount on the Scotts site looks nothing like the actual V-Strom mount. The only risers that work with the Scotts are the pivoting type that use the clamp to hold the bottoms of the risers, like the Rox risers have. Also, the rise has to be at least 2-5/8" to clear. The 3.5" Rox ATV riser is one that works but it is higher than most people want. Some have used a 2" riser plus 1" spacer. Clearing Scott's damper with Rox risers on 2006 1000

Swapping handlebars is a more likely fix to get a different hand position, especially to keep the stock clutch, throttle and brake cables or brake hose on 1000s.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts