StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take my hands off the handlebars they will start oscillating back and forth quite rapidly. I'm guessing the steering head bolt is loose. Before I bought the bike it had been in a slow speed dismount with damage on the left side of the bike.
Any ideas what I should do to fix this and what is involved in tightening the bolt in question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
First of all, your front tire can cause headshake, especially if it is cupped or the pressure if off (or if it's one of the special batch of Tourances :roll: ).

Other than the tire, check the fork clamps and steering nuts for proper torque. I don't have the numbers at hand but they're in the service manual. You'll need a spanner wrench, preferred, or a drift punch to get at the locknuts.

Personally, if I didn't have the torque values, spanners and the right size socket for the top nut, I would take it to a dealer and have them check it. Getting things wrong could make the problem worse or tweak the bearings.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Low rear tire pressure can have a negative effect on the handling as well, it manifests itself with the front end head shake and wobble. As mentioned several people complain that low speed handling is caused by the Metzler Tourance.

Head bearings are not really subject to a torque value, the locknut is though. The bearing races need to be adjusted with the bikes front end off the ground, first check for the ability to move the forks forward and back by using your hands on the lower portion of the forks. No movement fore/aft should be possible. Then the bars should be checked for free turning in either direction without any stiction or "hitches", the bars when centered should turn easily either direction but not fall to the stop without a bit of effort, kind of a feel thing.

If they fall to either side the lock ring needs to be lightly tapped, maybe a 1/16th of a turn and try again. If too tight then the same procedure but loosen them. A little bit of movement goes along way on these bearing races.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts