StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride many miles fd gravel/dirt and sand every week. I assume i should use steel sprockets only or do aluminium sprockets withstand the grinding type friction as well as the steel? There can't be too much weight diffrence in a single sprocket. My rear wheel bearings and axle are ruined so chain/sprocket set is coming up soon. I want to by the best material for my application.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Aluminum wears faster. There are titanium sprockets available, harder than steel.

·
Registered
875 Posts
There are several reports here than steel is better than aluminum.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Aluminum rear sprockets are hard anodized. It's a surface treatment. When it wears through the thin treated area, they go away in a hurry. Racers may use them for a race or three because unsprung weight is important but I wouldn't consider them for other use.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I've never run aluminum on the street, but on SV650 race bikes they last 20-30 hours. And when they start to go away, they go away in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If they had a fitment for the V-Strom, I'd go with a Supersprox, a hybrid of steel and aluminum. They list the SV-650 and the DR650, but I don't know if those are different than the Strom.

Edit: I just checked their site and they do list sprockets for the 2004 and 2005 DL650. I don't know if these also fit later years and they just don't list it, or if these two years are unique in the sprocket set-up. It's under Suzuki road bikes, 600cc.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi Everyone, a number of years ago when we were first all getting Stromtroopers going we initially shipped some Hard Anodized Aluminum out,

I discontinued it because there was such huge variance in the mileage for wear. Some members got 18K and some got as low as 10K,

I know only ship Made in the USA, hardened Steel Front and Rear Sprockets so that everyone gets great mileage and value out of them,

BTW: SV650 and Vstrom Rear Sprockets are not the same or interchangeable,

Let me know whenever I can help you out, If you would like me to give you a quick call and discuss your Chain and Sprocket Combinations just Email me Directly at [email protected] and include your contact phone number, I will be happy to help you out,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If they had a fitment for the V-Strom, I'd go with a Supersprox, a hybrid of steel and aluminum. They list the SV-650 and the DR650, but I don't know if those are different than the Strom.

Edit: I just checked their site and they do list sprockets for the 2004 and 2005 DL650. I don't know if these also fit later years and they just don't list it, or if these two years are unique in the sprocket set-up. It's under Suzuki road bikes, 600cc.
They also have fitment for DL1000s, in various sizes. Just call them and they'll "get you looked after you right away."

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! That explains alot! I think ill be gettin me some of them made in the U.S. hardend steel sprockets. I got >5k out of my last set of JT alum and Southwest Powersports 525HSO chain but thats because of a bent axle and shot wheel bearings.:headbang:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Aluminum rear sprockets[snip].
Racers may use them for a race or three because unsprung weight is important[snip].
Yes. And there is even greater benefit from reducing spinning unsprung weight (reduced angular momentum).

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Steel is a great material for sprockets. Don't waste your effort with aluminum, no matter the coating.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought Renthal front and rear and a Western Power Sports 525HSO chain. I have had great luck with WPS in the past...Also orderd wheel bearings, sprocket hub bearing and new axle. Now, I can get more then 4500 miles out of a chain/sprocket set. If this doesnt keep the sprocket from wobbling, The only rhing left to rebuild would be the swingarm bearings or bushings.....whatever it has.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts