StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Stebel horn the other day, on the available spot at the rear of the front cylinder, used a Murph wiring harness. It all works fine. BUT it doesn't seem amazingly loud to me. It is a double note, nice, but I was expecting it to be "holy s---" loud.

Is it possible to wire it or otherwise do an install that works but is not quite right so as to not get 100% of the volume?? I can't imagine that would be the case but I'm open for help.

thanks - KS.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Are you sure you got the positive and negative leads on the correct connectors and did you use at least 16ga wire?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Are you sure you got the positive and negative leads on the correct connectors and did you use at least 16ga wire?
What Pat said, plus you could always add another Stebel or two. :devil_16:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Were you wearing earplugs when you tested it? ;)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize as a working musician I'm 1/2 deaf but not entirely.. I used the Murph kit which is supposed to have the correct gauge wire..

It wouldn't work with the + - reversed, would it?? I guess I'll go look - to be sure.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Maybe its because its covered by something there?
I have two installed, they are mounted on the crash bars 1 facing left and 1 facing right.
When I am sitting on the seat I am between both horns but they are pointing away from me, Its not that loud up on the seat.

I have 1 installed on my Burgman under the plastic in the dash. I think its all blocked up by the plastic even with all the vents and the empty steering area down below. Even one on my Wee sounds better than the one on the Burgy

Though it may be the relay because I've heard people say the relay stebel gives you sucks, maybe thats whats wrong?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the horn is totally in the open - I have to presume the relay and all are OK as it's all part of the "Murph's Kit." Not cheap.. could have bought all the doo-dahs myself as it's not that complicated and saved a few bucks, but with the trip to the store and yada yada it's not a bad deal to buy the kit. I swapped wires around yesterday to see if anything would make a difference, and the only difference was swapping the + and - connectors yielded a very feeble sound, so that ain't it. The wires from the original horn work in either orientation - the instructions said if you get them backwards the horn will stay on constantly with the ignition key on - but that is not the case on my bike - works the same either way.

I think it is probably working just fine - perhaps I had unrealistic expectations that it'd sound like a train coming at you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts