Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stebel Nautilus: Has anybody found a good place where to mount it?

I am new to the V2 and starting to move farkles from my Wee to the V2. One of them is my Stebel and I like to benefit from the ingenuity of the collective brains where to best locate the horn, being as big as it is.

Anybody done it and happy with the result?

Thanks! Blaustrom

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was hoping to find a spot under the beak/ instrument/ headlight area with the horn outlets facing forward rather than sideways. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
install angle

In the past some people were reporting horns failures with these but I never read anything about being installed incorrectly. However the manufacturer is giving specific mounting instruction.
Page 6 of the PDF file (1.0MB) below shows the installation angles for this horn.

www.flosser.com/fileadmin/files/Pdf/Flosser_Flyer_AIr_Horn_12V.pdf

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
You can't put the horn under the beak. Compressing the front suspension can occupy that space.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
10-4 on the mount. It's just an easier application than trying to be neat about hiding it under the plastic.
Still gotta fight the wiring or finally tear the bike apart and do a neat job of the real/fuse box. Then it be a plug and honk!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mine is tucked inside the plastic up front on the right side. It is mounted on the brace post outboard of the headlight. Nothing else was there and plenty of room for the forks to turn. Plastic goes on and off just the same. Relay is back under the seat at the battery box.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My strom came from the previous owner with a Nautilus mounted on a hole drilled through H&B crash bars. That setup worked for a while, until the clip holding the horn to the compressor failed. I cinched it back up with a ziptie, but it was downhill from there. Finally at 80k miles I replaced the horn with a Chinese unit that cost half as much. It dropped right in using the existing wiring and hardware and it has been fine so far. I'm okay with that replacement interval.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I couldn't find an inconspicuous spot to put my Wolo so I hung it conspicuously.
I mounted it on the engine bar.
The rest of the bike is quite conspicuous so why not the horn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't find an inconspicuous spot to put my Wolo so I hung it conspicuously.
I mounted it on the engine bar.
The rest of the bike is quite conspicuous so why not the horn.
They don't like to get very wet, that's why I like to place it somewhere where its protected from spray. Don't care what it looks like really.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is tucked inside the plastic up front on the right side. It is mounted on the brace post outboard of the headlight. Nothing else was there and plenty of room for the forks to turn. Plastic goes on and off just the same. Relay is back under the seat at the battery box.
Great, you mind taking a couple of pictures to share?

Are you going to the Romney meet and/ or NAVA17? Maybe see you there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went through 2 Stebels mounted to the front cylinder before I gave up. The plastic kept breaking apart. I finally went with a pair of Hella Superhorns that I painted black.
I would love to see how you mounted this up. I've got a set I intended to put on my Subaru Forester, but a hail storm removed that desire haha. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Great, you mind taking a couple of pictures to share?
Here's a few shots with the plastic off the right side from the install. From the pictures it may not look like much room there, but there is plenty of space for the forks to fully turn without anything coming in contact. Plenty of space for removing/installing the plastic. Lots of room. I did this install back in 2014. It was not the most pleasurable farkling I've done to the Vee (IIRC, it was a real pain) but it is permanent and doing fine. And, yes, I plan to be in Romney in May -- but your certainly have yours installed by then :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nautilus apart

The Nautilus gives you the option to separate the compressor from the plastic horn.
That might allow you to mount it at the OEM location and the compressor somewhere else.

Youtube: Stebel Nautilus taking apart, pulling apart, disassembly for installation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbP2nwP8O7Q

The rider below did the split and posted it on Amazon under By Truth Be Told.
Jun 08, 2012... I had to separate the horn from the compressor. Once they were separated I was able to mount the horn where the original horn was located and I mounted the compressor in the rear trunk section of the bike. I thought by separating the horn and compressor and using a 2 feet long hose would cause the horn to sound low but it didn't; the horn sounds the same. To separate and relocate the horn and compressor you need 5/16 to 5/16 Vacuum Connector Autozone for $3 Vinyl tubing with 5/16 I.D. you can get it at home depot for $5...
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690039-Nautilus-Compact-Chrome/dp/B000TK5TLG

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690039-Nautilus-Compact-Chrome/dp/B000TK5TLG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts