StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just be VERY careful the first time you press the horn button after you install it. :jawdrop:

Holy Crap is it LOUD.

A little story about when I did mine:

I set it up with a custom bracket off the engine, put the Eastern Beaver harness with it (not necessary just makes it easier). I hit the horn and nearly crapped my pants.

So, my ex-gf had her 5 year old son that day (wasn't an ex at the time). He is really into bikes and four wheelers. He is standing at the door of the garage and I ask him if he is ready. He says "Yeah".

I hit the horn, the poor kid nearly jumped out of his sneakers. He was twitching and when he landed he just took off running back toward the living room. Mean, maybe a little, but funny as heck.

Good luck and it's 100% worth it. Just realize that giving a little good bye toot isn't just a little goodbye toot anymore :)

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Hello All

Does anyone have one of these air horns? Are they easy to install and are they worth it?
:mrgreen:
I have mine on for a year. I get some great reactions from the cagers!! I think it's worth the investment. I am still thinking of keeping the OEM horn connected, using a switch to turn either horn on/off, depending on where I ride. City, residential, freeway - you get the picture... Gary was a great help !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I installed one off the left side of the 650 engine using an L (available from a hardware store for very cheap) bracket that I cut off. It was not hard and the horn fit under my crash bars. The instructions posted on this website were great - even to exactly what bolt to buy. However, with an Eastern Beaver harness it really is quite simple since you just basically plug everything in after you mount the horn.

Make sure the wire connections point down so that the horn doesn't get water in it and the wires are somewhat protected. What everyone says is true, it's loud. It is the same sound as a trumpet only as loud as a train whistle. If you want to be heard in an emergency, this is the way to do it :jawdrop:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello All

Does anyone have one of these air horns? Are they easy to install and are they worth it?
:mrgreen:
Yes, make sure you order the Eastern Beaver wire kit...makes it VERY simple and worth the $40. I installed mine under the right fairing similar to others. The stock horn is worthless, you may as well put a bicylcle bell on it. I don't use it often, but when I do I KNOW I am heard and drivers are looking for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just to balance the euphoria, mine is gasping - only hits one note most of the time. It's about 2years old, but there is some history of short life to consider (webikeworld etc).
Having said that, great while it worked.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I need to get one myself. There's a golf course close to my house, I'd love to catch some hacker mid-swing with the the Stebel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just another anecdote. I was traveling westbound on Rt 90 (mass pike) out of Boston the other day. I was about a mile or two from the Rt 95 junction. This is still city highway area.

Some college kid with a full car load of buddies was in the center lane and I in the left. As I was passing him just at the wrong time (me about his rear wheel) he decides to take the left lane.

I hit the Stebel and the driver and the 4 buddies in the car twitched. Get the horn, I think it is better then the Highway blasters I used to have. Only set up I have ever had that was louder was the 2 sets of air horns on my Goldwing.

I was very disappointed when getting the bike inspected yesterday the guy forgot to ask to use the horn. :thumbdown:

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
One of my favorite passages from AGirl.

You already know what's coming next so I think I'll just call it “A Strom, a Moose, & a Stebel... A Love Story” -- coming down a hill and approaching a sweeper there he stood on the side of the road. Just standing. Not eating, not fighting off bugs. Just standing. I came to a quick stop about 45 yards from him and immediately surmised that I too did not have a bike equipped with reverse and so my next thought was to look for a tree I could climb (hey, no laughing!). He didn't see me or if he did he wasn't exactly acknowledging the fact. I didn't want to turn the bike around since I had no idea just how fast he could charge. Part of me wanted to just watch him but until I had some degree of control over the situation this didn't seem too high on the “what's next” list. Since I am not briefed on the cognitive processes inherent to moose I bet I could guess anyway and do so in one word: LIMITED. Ok, how about DOPEY. And calling this moose “big” would be as adequate as calling the Grand Canyon "big." Freakin' H-U-G-E!!!! That antler rack thinggy was probably the most impressive part about him; that dangly thing under his neck the most unsightly. I noticed he seemed to be drooling. I thought perhaps he saw the Strom out of the corner of his eye? Oh, hell, it is mating season, so what if he confused the Strom for a female moose? I had almost convinced myself this was the case when he started moving somewhat in the same direction that I sat on the Strom, so with no hesitation I pounced on the air horn! Let me say that the response would undoubtedly be cherished by someone in Stebel's marketing and advertising department! Off he went into the woods! Oh, do I love that horn!! I had sight of him continuing into the woods as I passed by where he was standing.
- Seize The Journey - Four Corners Ride - Day 13

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
That's a FUN hobby! I enjoy it myself from time to time :thumbup:
Which reminds me...

While making my way to I-95 I took a road that ran beside a golf course. While waiting at a painfully long stoplight and before turning onto this road I noticed a man taking many practice swings before teeing off. He seemed very serious and absorbed in his moment with the white ball. The light turned green and I proceeded beside the course. It just so happened that I was very near him as he was about to hit the ball and, well, I simply couldn't resist... I laid on the air horn. (Hey, I was just doing a morning sound check you know.) There are no words in the English language that would adequately describe his “response,” but I'll say that I had to stop a mile or so afterwards so I could wipe the tears from my eyes because I was laughing so hard. Oh, I love this horn!
- Seize The Journey - Four Corners Ride - Day 18

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I saw it before you did, I maintain her web site. Besides, she got me started in the hobby :green_lol:

The first time I rode with her we went down the Natchez Trace Parkway. She saw a deer beside the road (a sight there about as common as fleas on a dog) and hit her horn. The deer was probably about 50' away when she let loose and I suspect the poor thing is still running today. Did you know that deer can damn near jump over trees?

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
I saw it before you did, I maintain her web site. Besides, she got me started in the hobby :green_lol:
Of course you did. Good work by the way. :beatnik:

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Of course you did. Good work by the way. :beatnik:
I just post what she writes and photographs. Compliments go to her. She is an absolute hoot to be around. There's no way I had that much energy when I was her age, it's just not possible ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Every now and then I hit the horn when I am turning off the turn signal. I am always shocked at the sound and a little embarassed. It would definatly be a real golf swing destructo device.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just installed one this week and like everyone else says, it's pretty simple. I chose to install mine inside the fairing on the right side. Plenty of room and away from water/grime. Used an electrical clamp on the fairing support member to hold it in place, then made an "L" bracket to attach the Stebel to it. Made my own wiring harness based on the Eastern Beaver kit to save a small bit of money (plus I like to tinker). Haven't had to use it yet, but my friend Buckarooranch has one and I can tell you that going away at 60 mph I could still hear it loud and clear.

Well worth the small cost and time to put it on the bike.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
The first time I used them "intentionally" a cager pulled off a side road, from the right. Went across the road and turned toward me on the opposite side... The driver was sucking on a diet coke, and only looked away-never towards me. I laid on the button, and I swear she deep throated that bottle, then spewed.

I said to myself, "Self? We need to do that more often" LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts