StromTrooper banner

Stebel: intermittent tone loss

1350 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BigMan73
I have a Stebel airhorn that intermittently fails to sound the high tone. The low tone alone is still plenty loud, but what puzzles me is that the high tone comes and goes. I did my best to see that the horn body and compressor were fitted tightly together. There is an intake hose attached, but the horn was in use for a year or two without the intake hose on another bike, so it's possible there's some grime in there.

Is this a known problem with a known fix?

Cheers -d
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,861 Posts
It's only a "known" problem in that Stebels are known to be hit or miss when it comes to quality. They all seem to sound a little different.

The one on my GS850G is one of the good ones -- instant thunderous racket when you push the button.

The Stebel nautilus on my Vee is pathetic -- it takes about a half second to make any noise, and it's sorta wheezy. Thus far I've been too lazy to switch it out.

If you gently take it apart and look around, you might find some dirt or something that explains the problem. Maybe a pebble that's rattling around and causing it to be intermittent.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I have the same problem - high tone doesn't work any longer.
This is the second kit from PWD, after the first one had the same issues.
And the horn has an air intake cover and also a plastic tube. So the air should be clean.

Just poor build quality. :thumbdown:

Has anyone opened up a stebel horn? Maybe there is a procedure for cleaning the inside of the horn?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Air leak.....who knows where's.....?
From what I understand the problem is a reed which doesn't vibrate - it is jammed for some reason.
Airleaks should have shown a wheezing sound (of leaked air), but there is no such sound.

I suspect the reeds inside either got wet or dirty.
But what is the correct procedure to open up the airhorn and clean it? Is it doable?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.