StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I finished installing my Stebel Compact Ear Destroyer. I had been puzzling over the best way to attach it inside the fairing, and finally decided to make a bracket from a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar I had laying around. Of course, the next day someone pointed out Pat Walsh's new bracket, which is pretty much exactly the same thing...

It would have worked a little better if the bar I had was an inch longer (for a more complete wrap around the fairing brace), but I think it'll be ok. Lock washers don't work when they're not bearing on a relatively flat surface, so I loaded up on the loctite. If I find it working loose, I'll just have to break down and make a new one.

I used the bolt and nut included with the horn to attach it to the bracket. I had to drill out the hole on top of the horn mount, since it was a little too small for the bolt. I also added a lock washer between the bolt head and the mount (the nut is captured in the mount, so it can't work its way loose).

The wiring is all pretty standard: 14ga fused power lead from battery to relay (velcro'd on top of the radiator), used existing horn leads for relay trigger. Heatshrink tubing on all the connectors, and some flexible plastic automotive conduit along the left side from underseat to the front top edge of the left "wing" of the gas tank. The ground is also 14ga, runs back from the horn through the conduit to the battery negative. One more electric farkle will justify fuse and ground blocks...

Attachments

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
I used the same location as you did but used some stainless hose clamps to attach it to the bar.

I just flipped the horn around 180" from your picture, one clamp on the top another on the bottom.....boy are they loud !

Ron W.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I separated the compressor from the horn. Mounted the horn to the right of the motor on a bracket made of 2"x1/8" aluminum bar. This bracket is fastened to the same mount as the voltage reg/rec, needed longer screws. The compressor is mounted under the seat, outside the right frame rail, about even with the battery. Used a SS hose clamp. Connected the two with a piece of 1/4" I.D. vinyl tubing.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
I love my earplugs....The Strebel still gets through.

I don't leave home without them....

Ron W.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
My solution to the Stebel's "directional" issue. Works well for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Can you imagine two Stebels? Wow, what a racket that would make! Interesting . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts