StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a relay required when installing a Stebel horn?
Do I require additional mounting equipment when replacing the original horn?
What's the best model to go for?

I have a 2006 Vee and due to my excessive speed (70/80/90/100/110/120) sometimes need to let people way on down the road know I am coming through!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Before Heavy gets to suggest using the search function ;), there is a wealth of information on the site about the Stebel. To get you started though:

- Stebel Nautilus
- yes, you'll need hardware to mount it (e.g. zip ties, gear clams, nuts & bolts and/or a custom bracket)
- Relay is strongly recommended

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lajaro,

I did do a search before posting and after looking at a few post came to the conclusion that whilst people had installed them, they did not say how and what was used. The main point was HOW LOUD it was.

·
Administrator
13,510 Posts
The Stebel comes with a relay. It greatly simplifies the matter if you get one of the wiring kits available as this provides leads and a socket to plug in the relay. If you also pick up a factory horn lead then that part of the wiring becomes fairly simple.. you wire the appropriate wires to the factory cable, the other wires to the power source for the relay.

You will have to fabricate a bracket to attach the horn and figure out where you wish to put it. For me this took the longest part of the install.. I spent literally a few weeks thinking about how to install it as I wanted it inside the fairing. (I tend to overthink things anyway.) Other people install onto their crash bars which I think would be easiest.

There are a lot of threads that cover the actual installation as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
I mounted my stebel using an old piece 2x2 steel angle cut about 1.5" wide.
I shaped the side that attached to the top of the horn in a semi-circle to match the body of the horn and fit closer to the angle of the bracket- then attached the vertical angle to the bolt that holds the left side of the radiator - worked out well so far - I used a little blue loctite on the radiator bolt, and could probably use a slightly longer radiator bolt but there seem to be plenty of threads holding it.

Had to do a little carving on the other side of the angle to fit around the radiator but it was no biggy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You will have to fabricate a bracket to attach the horn and figure out where you wish to put it. For me this took the longest part of the install.. I spent literally a few weeks thinking about how to install it as I wanted it inside the fairing. (I tend to overthink things anyway.) Other people install onto their crash bars which I think would be easiest.

Or you can just buy one from Pat Walsh: http://www.patwalshdesigns.com/hornbrkt.html

·
Administrator
13,510 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mount that horn (oooh that sounds kinky)

After much hammering I got my Nautilus compact mounted to my Motech crashbars on the right side using a handguard bracket. Old style made to fit 7/8th inch bars worked acceptably, but it needs to be just a little bit closer to the front to make wiring easier. Love that sound, kind of says 'get the heck out to the way!'

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used the Fiamm Freeway blaster sold at auto parts stores. There is an unused bolt hole on the bottom right corner of the radiator. Easy connection, just extended the original horn wires. Time will tell if I should have used a relay, but I don't think this horn uses much more power than the OEM unit.

By the way - the Fiamm type horn needs to vibrate in order to make noise. I first tried mounting the horn directly to the radiator, and it hardly made any sound at all. I remounted it using the supplied bracket (doubled up both pieces for strength) and it works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts