StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked up Steble horns after there was a freebie mount offered on the forum.
I got a Nautilus horn a while back. Never tried it and when i did, jumped it directly to the battery. A whirring sound and feeble squeak emitted for the legendary device.
Wow, POS. So I looked it up in the Strom library. Plenty of suggestions but nothing seemed to help this device. I tried putting my fingers over the small holes of the diaphragms, some improvements. So I taped over those hole, got a better squeak. By applying pressure to the diaphragms the horn started to work as it should. So I got a couple cotton balls and stuck them under the plastic caps that cover the diaphragms. Now it sounds good.
But I'll need to tape over the periphery of the plastic covers to keep moisture out of the cotton balls.

Reminds me of my Fiamms I had on my beemers. Loud when new but feeble when not used for a long period. Then it took a lot of massaging to get them functioning again. my Fiamms had a screw on the diaphragm and could be adjusted. You could make them sound weird.
Some of Y'alls like sounding the horn to let folks know you are there or to stimulate drivers to move when the light turns green. That probably keeps your horns at peak working order. For those of us that don't and can't find the horn button without looking, our horns suffer from atrophy.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Mine lasted about a month and then behaved like yours. Totally unreliable and.... gone.

Dual freeway blasters now.

BTW: I regularly find an excuse to honk at somebody just to make sure the horns work when you need them. And occasionally, I need them.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Put one on my 05 in 07. Did like yours and slowly got worse. Found a suggestion somewhere to flush it with WD-40. Did a couple cycles and it was like new. Stayed good after that for 8 years and 70-80,000 miles. I did exercise it regularly.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nrvr2old, where did you spray the WD40? In the holes in the diaphragm under the rubber cover or up the air intake?

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Nrvr2old, where did you spray the WD40? In the holes in the diaphragm under the rubber cover or up the air intake?
Curious too?

I have had mine for 11 years and it has worked flawlessly (knock on wood).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Same here. It has to be mounted close to vertical and you must make sure water will not get into the inlet. I silicone caulked every crack and seam the unit has and it's been reliable up till now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi All,
My two cents--I put a Stebel on this past fall and mounted it with a tab I made from some scrap aluminum bar stock I had laying around, to an existing threaded connection on the left front of my motor. I ride year-round in NYC and upstate in rain, snow, offroad, etc. and its held up just fine without any mods or issues. I got it on Amazon for $35 or so and used the usual $12 harness Amazon recommended/that most buy with it. Just barely long enough with my routing/wire shroud, but its a fused connection straight to the battery that has served me well---and scares the #$%^ out of oblivious jay-walkers on their phones and terrible/senseless/distracted drivers alike :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts