StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just makes a slight buzzing sound. One of the local bike shops tells me they have had a lot of trouble with them.

I'm going to pull it off tonight and see if I can take it apart to find the problem.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Any way it could have gotten water inside? That is one way to blow them up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can take it apart, clean it, use a hair dryer on it, reassemble it and hope for the best. It worked for my old horn.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any way it could have gotten water inside? That is one way to blow them up.
Well it happened after I washed my bike with a very little amount of water. If these things aren't waterproof, it doesn't seem like they'd be very good for motorcycles.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
They need to be mounted with the opening in the bottom.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They need to be mounted with the opening in the bottom.
Greywolf,

I took it apart and couldn't save it. It was mounted the right way. In fact I once rode it a whole day in the rain and it worked fine after that. It was on my 09 Wee when I bought it used a year ago, but on close examination the horn looks a lot older than the bike. I have a new one on order.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Greywolf,

I took it apart and couldn't save it. It was mounted the right way. In fact I once rode it a whole day in the rain and it worked fine after that. It was on my 09 Wee when I bought it used a year ago, but on close examination the horn looks a lot older than the bike. I have a new one on order.
this could be the issue i had a set of horns i transferred from bike to bike i bought in 2004. I finally gave them away with the last bike i sold.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I originally installed Stebel horn in place of the OEM behind radiator. Removed last time I swung radiator. Don't use it at all. In situation you have to decide between getting out or blowing a horn. Well, if I need to, I'll screem instead. I just don't want anything vibrating off and damqging something else...

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
My original Stebel died in the rain when the mount vibrated loose and the horn tipped and filled with water. New mounting(read smarter) and a new horn. Proud to be loud.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I took apart a couple of high pressure, battery operated bicycle tire pumps and found a metal reed valve had fatigued and snapped off after very little use. The motor would RRRRRR! but no air. I would bet the problem with the Stebel has to do with fatigue, corrosion or rubble in the reed valve. Pat Walsh Designs has a cool kit and a two year guarantee on the Stebel if you route the supplied air intake hose to a clean, dry location. Looks good too.

Pat Walsh Designs Stebel Horn Kit for V-Strom DL650

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
+1 , I have that PWD kit, and the remote air intake is a really good idea with that horn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts