StromTrooper banner

Stebel Horn install

8003 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  VladStrom
I received my Stebel Horn kit from PWD yesterday and installed it. It was surprisingly easy. Just took about two hours because I was fishing the cords through and wanted to loop the cords that connected to the stock wires to go around the stick horn to left them up a little more. (Big hands, little space and warm engine didn’t help) Once done it works fine, I feel it’s a little low (but I didn't lay on the horn button… just tapped it a few times).
My question is I have the air tub zip tied a few wires next to the fuses (I think this is safe.) But where did you attach the relay. All the pictures show it attached to the plastic under seat holder but that would be for non-ABS models. The area for me has ABS fuses there. Right now I have the relay zip tied to the strap holding the battery down until I find a better spot.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
I put the Stebel horn relay where the old horn was but I have two relays under the seat. One is for a fuse block and the other is for the brake light connection to cancel the cruise control so there are places to put relays in the area. One is bolted to the front of the tray on the right in the picture (the left side of the bike. The other is to the left of the box labeled FUSE in the pic. It just has the mounting plate sitting in an appropriate space and stays in place nicely. There are two light blue 90 degree connectors easily visible on that relay.

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
Mine's velcro'ed to the inside of the left cowling, but I wired my own, so your kit may or may not facilitate that. That's also where I ran my intake hose, because that's where I found the least evidence of dust incursion. Under the seat is definitely not a dust-free location, in my experience.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
That's also where I ran my intake hose, because that's where I found the least evidence of dust incursion.
Oh, and at the risk of revealing my anal retentive tendencies again, I also zip-tied a swatch of pantyhose over the end of the tubing. This is to keep out spiders, which routinely set up shop on my bike. I'd hate to suck their tender little bodies up into the compressor and ruin a perfectly good horn. :thumbdown:

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine's velcro'ed to the inside of the left cowling, but I wired my own, so your kit may or may not facilitate that. That's also where I ran my intake hose, because that's where I found the least evidence of dust incursion. Under the seat is definitely not a dust-free location, in my experience.
Sounds like I need to do some re-hosing!!!

· Registered
13 Posts
Horm Mounting

Where did you mount the actual horn? I just got a Stebel Air Cannon. My Wee has SWMotech guards and skid pan and I don't see too many spaces for mounting the horn within the various frames, pipes, hoses and motor surfaces. Any suggestions? Thanx

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Where did you mount the actual horn? I just got a Stebel Air Cannon. My Wee has SWMotech guards and skid pan and I don't see too many spaces for mounting the horn within the various frames, pipes, hoses and motor surfaces. Any suggestions? Thanx
The PWD stebel kit mounts on the left side of the engine:

· Registered
2,537 Posts
The Pat Walsh kit does work with the old-style SW Motech bar; I have both. I don't yet have a skid plate, but I can't see how that would interfere.
I don't have the SW-Motech bars. Do you mean to say the PWD Kit as I depicted it can co-exist with the SW-Motech bars?

Good to know that, although I'm going with the AltRider crash bars, because crash bars are similar in their position. Also the horn is really tucked inside the fairing, but maybe somebody has AltRider crash bars and PWD Stebel Kit and can confirm that?

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
murfee,

I used the Pat Walsh mounting kit. I have Givi crash bars on too so installing it just involved me thinking about angling the mounting setup to get it into place (I didn't want to have to take off the bars just to install the horn and its fit fine. I know others who mounted the horn next to the forks. But I feel there is less sound produced (Not much but enough to bother me). Funny thing is it is probably just the horn... I installed one on my wife's S40 and I think that makes more sound compared to mine.

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I don't have the SW-Motech bars. Do you mean to say the PWD Kit as I depicted it can co-exist with the SW-Motech bars?
Yup (let me again emphasize that mine is the old-style bar ... can't comment on the new).

The bracket does have to rotate slightly from its intended position, in order to get the horn to clear the bar. However, the purpose of the extended bracket is to prevent the horn from rotating, and the bar position directly under the horn does that job just fine (if the horn rotates at all, it will be stopped by the bar). All parts clear each other quite adequately, and I did not have to remove the bar to install the horn.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Hey Bigman,
I just got my 2011 White Pearl DL650A and like where you put the Stebel horn. Any chance you remember the size of the bolt that went into the side of the engine?

Dave
I bought the PWD Horn Kit. Highly recommended

· Registered
21 Posts
Sure looks the same in every detail. Know anything about that website? They have a LOT of stuff.
I received it a while ago. I didn't perform any measurements, but the sound quality and loudness are comparable to Stebel. The fit/finish are somewhat less sophisticated, but the price can't be beaten. It will get installed on my wife's scooter and if it turns OK I'll get one for the car as well (my Bandit has had a Stebel for the past 100,000Km and it's still freaking cagers out :jawdrop:

BTW, DEalExterme is adictive :). I've been buying knicknacks, thingamajigs and whatchamacallits from them for years. Slow but free shipping, fantastic prices for many things from cell phones to faucets. Quick and easy payment with no hidden fees, taxes, brokearge fees packaging fees, etc. - the price you see on the web page is all you pay. Good customer service too - I had no problem returning/replacing some defective items I received.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.