StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was about to install my horn it was a great help to see how others had wired and mounted the horn. So in an effort to return the favor here are some shots of my install.

I made the the bracket with a peace of 1'' steel, propane torch, bench vise and hammer. plus other had tools.

I used 14G wire for the + and - supply.

the relay is switched off the factory horn which i left connected. ( though you cant really hear it anymore) I made a small splitter to tap in for the relay.

so far its a great improvement.
thanks to all the info posts it was a big help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
For best results and longevity, the tube should be vertical.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You also dont want the intake for the compressor pointed forward. Dirt, bugs, and water will end up ruining the horn. IF you must leave it as is, I suggest a length of hose looped a couple of times and terminating with the open end pointed down. That way the compressor intake is protected.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For best results and longevity, the tube should be vertical.
It is true that Stebel recommends that the compressor be mounted vertically to avoid failure, I believe to ensure proper compressor lubrication.

However, I have never heard of an actual compressor failure, regardless of orientation.

On a previous bike, I had the compressor mounted horizontally and remote/separated from the horn to allow fitment to the bike, and it got plenty of use without failing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I would need to get a hose on the intake. In the install instructions they recommend running it back to the air box. I didn't really want to have to do that. I like the idea of putting some tube on it and running it up higher. I'm thinking I might even be able to find a small air filter for the end.Maybe make one with a peace of foam.

Gray,
As fair as the Angle i have it at the install instructions
(http://www.stebel.it/stebel/NAUTILUS-COMPACT.pdf) indicates that the unit can be turned 25 degrees up or down I'l check and see where I have it right now. I have the room to turn it though. I'll see if i can get it more vertical.

Thanks for the feed back

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
slash thank you for posting the photos and installation instructions.

I like the looks of the wiring. Was that the existing wiring or did you create it? Did you run the power through a fuse block or directly to the battery?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Captain Sacto in the early years and Harry Martin as we grew up.

Contact me for a ride some time.

I am still looking for information on the Stebel air horn installation. Gotta wake up the Cellphone Users.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I installed one on my bike yesterday. I used a method similar to Greywolf's: a grounding clamp from Home Depot and a small piece of 3/4 x 1/8 alum. angle stock. Cheap and only required a couple holes in the aluminum. Very rigid mount.

My wiring, however, didn't come out as well as planned. It works, but it's not pretty. I'll need to get back in there and fix that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I installed one on my bike yesterday. I used a method similar to Greywolf's: a grounding clamp from Home Depot and a small piece of 3/4 x 1/8 alum. angle stock. Cheap and only required a couple holes in the aluminum. Very rigid mount.

My wiring, however, didn't come out as well as planned. It works, but it's not pretty. I'll need to get back in there and fix that. :rolleyes:

I also used GW's method, which BTW, I think is the best way to mount the Stebel as it keeps it protected from the elements and doesn't stick out like a sore ***k. They're not the most visually appealing acc. you can put on a V-Strom. :bom_thumbsdown:

Also I took a lot of time and used mucho ty-raps so that I wouldn't have to worry about it coming loose.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just want to mention I got the idea from somebody else. I'm good at execution but not so hot at innovation.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I also used GW's method, which BTW, I think is the best way to mount the Stebel as it keeps it protected from the elements and doesn't stick out like a sore ***k. They're not the most visually appealing acc. you can put on a V-Strom. :bom_thumbsdown:

Also I took a lot of time and used mucho ty-raps so that I wouldn't have to worry about it coming loose.
I was so mad about the wiring. I thought I had it all worked out, and had all the wires cut to the perfect length and plugged in, just to find that the location I used interfered with the shock tube. :bom_thumbsdown:

My wife was anxious to do something else, so I just zip-tied it to the rubber bumper at the front of the fuel tank. It'll work until I have a chance to clean it up.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just want to mention I got the idea from somebody else. I'm good at execution but not so hot at innovation.

Now you went and did it........You'll probably have to start paying royalties to that un-named inventor.
Doesn't matter GW....you're still the best at presenting projects, how-to's and tech info. I wont tell anyone about your little secret.;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, I like this thread. Thanks Slash for posting the thread and the pictures. I was trying to figure out how I was going to mount my Stebel and you've solved that for me. I was at The Home Depot today looking for some Alum bar stock, they have nothing short of 3' lengths and I didn't want to strap it onto the bike. Guess I will have to go back and find a way to get it on the bike (for transport, fabrication is a different issue).

·
Registered
313 Posts
i mounted my stebel horn in the same location as Slash5 but used a stainless hose clamp around the bottom and zip ties at the top. quick,easy and very secure.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Well, I like this thread. Thanks Slash for posting the thread and the pictures. I was trying to figure out how I was going to mount my Stebel and you've solved that for me. I was at The Home Depot today looking for some Alum bar stock, they have nothing short of 3' lengths and I didn't want to strap it onto the bike. Guess I will have to go back and find a way to get it on the bike (for transport, fabrication is a different issue).
I bought the Pat Walsh bracket and the Eastern Beaver harness. It's mounted on the left side, vertically.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts