StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of those super duper loud air horns? :jawdrop: If so, what do you think of them? Is there any special things that need done to the Wee to get it to work properly? I've heard they often get wired wrong and it kills the electrical system, shorts out, blows fuses excessively, etc...

I like the idea of having a train horn on my Wee, but would like to hear some comments from the well informed crowd at this website first.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Lots of Stebel users, if you use the search tool you'll probably get a 100 threads to look through. Quick answer, use the Eastern Beaver wiring harness to install and you'll have no problems.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Get a wiring harness to make the job as simple as possible. Ride with ear plugs so you are not punished when you have to use it. I used mine for only the third time this past weekend. Scared the crap out of the guy who was about to pull out in front of me.

While it is loud and likely to be heard by your intended target, it's not magic. Don't be over confident with it. No guarantee your target will act the way you want them to, even if they do hear it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
the wiring handse did not have enough wire for the install I did the weekend in a friends sv650 lol.

But it comes with a relay.

Basically you can use stock horn switch to activate relay. YOU CAN NOT use the stock horn switch to power the horn directly BAD. the power needs to come directly form the battery as its a high pull item. Also do not use it off a fuse block, again fuse block like pc8 have 30 amp max capacity and the horn draws a lot idea. So horn switch to activate relay. Relay from battery (with inline fuse) then to horn, then a negative from horn back to battery. Its easy to wire in. Mounting the fun part as there is only 1 mounting hole on the entire thing.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
The PC8 has a 30A capacity. I run a Stebel and the HID headlights off of mine with no problem. Extra careful people can separately fuse the switched bank and unswitched bank as in http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/PC-8/body_pc-8.html#50akit
Ok fixed to 30 my bad

Also form eastern beavers site, but basically if you got load on the block, like heated gear and other stuff, the horn may kill the fuse.

IMPORTANT: You can connect a Horn Kit through an auxiliary fuse panel only if you don't have a lot of high current stuff already connected. A high powered horn can draw close to 20 Amps and that could blow the main fuse on your fuse panel if you're already drawing more than 10 Amps. I suggest connecting a Horn Kit directly to the battery so your fuse panel retains its full capacity. Add up the Amps from your horn or horns if you are wondering if you should connect to your fuse panel. More than 10 Amps of horn(s) should go directly on the battery.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Ride with ear plugs so you are not punished when you have to use it.
+1! Holy crap ... I originally had that thing mounted inside the cowling, which of course basically forms a bullhorn pointed at ME. It was Not Pleasant.

Current draw: I started small, with a 10a fuse. That worked a few times, but blew eventually. It was fine with a 15 (the wire was sized for plenty more).

As to horn selection, I personally gave up on the Stebel. It's too unreliable for my taste. If the body flexes or warps at all, you lose the air seal and it becomes pretty useless. I switched to Fiamm Freeway Blasters, which are just as loud (subjectively) and, I think, sound better. I like that my Wee sounds like a Buick.

·
38,048 Posts
Also form eastern beavers site, but basically if you got load on the block, like heated gear and other stuff, the horn may kill the fuse.
I haven't had a problem but it's a good point. I just set up separate fuses for the switched and unswitched sides as heated gear, headlights and horn all work off my PC8. I will put the horn on the unswitched side along with the GPS so heat, light and sound are not all running off the same 30A fuse. The relay will still only operate with the ignition on so it will be safe from horn button curious passers by.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As to horn selection, I personally gave up on the Stebel. It's too unreliable for my taste. If the body flexes or warps at all, you lose the air seal and it becomes pretty useless. I switched to Fiamm Freeway Blasters, which are just as loud (subjectively) and, I think, sound better. I like that my Wee sounds like a Buick.
Ig to one int he grage to install on my wee. tho ??? did you just run it off the stock horn switch, or do a relay setup like the sabal ??? I have ot decided yet myself

·
Registered
174 Posts
My tips: Install in the vertical position, keep it out of direct water spray/rain, use the Eastern Beaver Relay.

·
38,048 Posts
The Eastern Beaver relay is a better quality than the Stebel relay and is socket mounted. When taking off the radiator for such jobs as valve adjustments, it's a real time saver to be able to unplug the relay rather than remove it from the radiator.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Anyone ever try one of those inexpensive, under $20, Fiamm horns [freeway blaster], that you can just swap out for the stocker? I saw that they're rated at 130 db, vs 139 db for the Stebel's that also require a relay/wiring, etc....

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used the freeway blaster, I have noticed some people have water issues with the stabil for some reason or another, but after 20k I have suffered no ill effects, and mine is mounted low.
Most times when I need to use it, it wakes people up, but use some caution if you can as its so loud, it could actually cause the accident.
I have had morning commuters spill their coffee in their laps, no handed bicyclist wipe out, and almost always get the New Jersey State Bird flipped my way after use. Yea..It works!
I have had no issues with the supplied relay.
Heres a link you may wish to check for mounting locations. I am not sure if anyone even uses it anymore and have considered removing the pictures in my album for more space. Although it seems to have a lot of hits.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=26277
Toll

·
38,048 Posts
Here's my Stebel mount.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have just introduced a new Stebel horn kit for the DL650. You can see it here. I have set up a $20 discount coupon code for Stromtroopers. The code is 650honker. Enter the code in the coupon code box at checkout and it will deduct $20 from the total. This code expires on June15, 2010

There are several advantages to mounting the horn on the outside: (1) The horn is louder (2) The sound doesn't bounce back from the fairing/windshield to the rider (3) Easier to install - no need to remove the plastic.

There is a misconception that these horns need to be under the fairing in order to be protected from the rain. True, it's bad for water to get into the compressor, but water can still get sucked into the compressor even if it's mounted under the fairing.

The most popular Stebel motorcycle horns are the chrome versions that are mounted on cruisers. They are typically not installed under a fairing and are fully exposed to the elements. This is not a problem for these horns and they have a very low failure rate as long as they are installed properly.

There are 3 keys to proper installation of this horn:

(1) Mount the horn as vertically as possible. The manufacturer says within 15 degrees of vertical is optimum. I think the range is probably a little broader than that, but obviously the closer to vertical the better.

(2) Wire the horn properly. Most wiring malfunctions seem to be due to improper grounding. It's best to ground to the battery.

(3) Keep water and dirt out of the compressor unit. This is the most overlooked item and is what kills most horns. The horn uses a small but powerful compressor that sucks air in from a small hole in the side of the compressor and blows it out the "trumpet" section. If the horn sucks in water and dirt, it will kill the horn. Sometimes it's a quick death, sometimes slow...but it WILL die if water and dirt gets sucked inside the compressor.

We provide an Air Intake Assembly that attaches to the horn's air intake connector that is provided by Stebel with the horn (It's a little black piece that unfortunately most guys don't know what it is and promptly throw it away after they install the horn!). You route the tubing to a location on the bike that will stay relatively dry and dust free.

Our wiring harness isn't as deluxe as Jim's at Eastern Beaver, but it's entirely adequate and easy to install. You'll be provided heat shrink tubing to seal the exposed ends and Posi-lock connectors in the event you want to shorten any of the wires. The relay and fuse holder will tuck in under the seat where they will be dry and protected. You'll also have a spare relay that can easily be changed out if necessary.

Also, be careful to buy a genuine Stebel horn. There is a Stebel knockoff that is very prolific in the marketplace. The compressor is Chinese-made and has a high failure rate. This is one reason we decided to provide a complete kit so that the horn would be a real Stebel and all the components would fit properly. If you use our kit, we offer a 2 year warranty on the horn and all the components.

We will also have one for the DL1000 eventually.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Gary
PWD
[email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
We have just introduced a new Stebel horn kit for the DL650. You can see it here. I have set up a $20 discount coupon code for Stromtroopers. The code is 650honker. Enter the code in the coupon code box at checkout and it will deduct $20 from the total. This code expires on June15, 2010

There are several advantages to mounting the horn on the outside: (1) The horn is louder (2) The sound doesn't bounce back from the fairing/windshield to the rider (3) Easier to install - no need to remove the plastic.

There is a misconception that these horns need to be under the fairing in order to be protected from the rain. True, it's bad for water to get into the compressor, but water can still get sucked into the compressor even if it's mounted under the fairing.

The most popular Stebel motorcycle horns are the chrome versions that are mounted on cruisers. They are typically not installed under a fairing and are fully exposed to the elements. This is not a problem for these horns and they have a very low failure rate as long as they are installed properly.

There are 3 keys to proper installation of this horn:

(1) Mount the horn as vertically as possible. The manufacturer says within 15 degrees of vertical is optimum. I think the range is probably a little broader than that, but obviously the closer to vertical the better.

(2) Wire the horn properly. Most wiring malfunctions seem to be due to improper grounding. It's best to ground to the battery.

(3) Keep water and dirt out of the compressor unit. This is the most overlooked item and is what kills most horns. The horn uses a small but powerful compressor that sucks air in from a small hole in the side of the compressor and blows it out the "trumpet" section. If the horn sucks in water and dirt, it will kill the horn. Sometimes it's a quick death, sometimes slow...but it WILL die if water and dirt gets sucked inside the compressor.

We provide an Air Intake Assembly that attaches to the horn's air intake connector that is provided by Stebel with the horn (It's a little black piece that unfortunately most guys don't know what it is and promptly throw it away after they install the horn!). You route the tubing to a location on the bike that will stay relatively dry and dust free.

Our wiring harness isn't as deluxe as Jim's at Eastern Beaver, but it's entirely adequate and easy to install. You'll be provided heat shrink tubing to seal the exposed ends and Posi-lock connectors in the event you want to shorten any of the wires. The relay and fuse holder will tuck in under the seat where they will be dry and protected. You'll also have a spare relay that can easily be changed out if necessary.

Also, be careful to buy a genuine Stebel horn. There is a Stebel knockoff that is very prolific in the marketplace. The compressor is Chinese-made and has a high failure rate. This is one reason we decided to provide a complete kit so that the horn would be a real Stebel and all the components would fit properly. If you use our kit, we offer a 2 year warranty on the horn and all the components.

We will also have one for the DL1000 eventually.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Gary
PWD
[email protected]
Excellent, please post when you have a setup for the DL1000.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
The Eastern Beaver relay is a better quality than the Stebel relay and is socket mounted. When taking off the radiator for such jobs as valve adjustments, it's a real time saver to be able to unplug the relay rather than remove it from the radiator.
I can vouch for the lower quality of the original Stebel relay. I installed one on another brand of bike two years ago and the relay failed within two months of little usage. I replaced it with one from NAPA, an Echlin I believe.
The convenience of the EB kit is probably worth it.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
It should also be noted that the Stebel can be separated into two units -- compressor and horn -- for easier mounting. They just need to be connected by a piece of tubing. This is how I have mounted mine. In this way you can have the compressor in a shielded place and the horn exposed to the world.

Has anyone used the momentary high-beam switch to activate the horn circuit? That seems a much better place for a horn button than the OEM position, much more accessible and less likely to be confused with the turn signal kill button. And nobody in their right mind uses the high-beam flash signal anyway because it's likely to be interpreted as "go ahead, you have the right-of-way."

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I used the [Fiamm] freeway blaster, I have noticed some people have water issues with the stabil for some reason or another, but after 20k I have suffered no ill effects, and mine is mounted low.
Most times when I need to use it, it wakes people up, but use some caution if you can as its so loud, it could actually cause the accident.//
I have the Fiamm on my car. There's no comparison in sound pressure between them and the Stebel. In fact, you can now find a lot of threads on car enthusiast forums of how people are now mounting Stebels in cars. Don't be fooled by what seems on paper to be a small difference. The Hella SuperTone is the loudest disk horn available but is kind of large and may be difficult to mount on a V-Strom. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/fiamm-freeway-blaster/

I used the Pat Walsh bracket and wiring harness from Eastern Beaver and mounted it inside the cowl pointed forwards. I unplugged the stock horn but left it in place so that if it fails, I can just plug the stocker back in.

I live in Boston and commute out the nearly two mile tunnel that is Boston's "Big Dig". What I like about the Stebel is that you can just give a brief "toot" to let someone know you are there. Or you can let 'er rip.

Because I am a bad man, when I ride up behind an open-pipe Harley, I like to give them a little toot just to make sure they know I'm there: after all, if noise makes him safer, the same must apply for me, right? :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have the Fiamm on my car. There's no comparison in sound pressure between them and the Stebel.
You need a pair of Fiamms if you go that route. They are meant to work as a two-tone set. In that configuration, they stand up just fine to the Stebel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts