StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its now official, burnt up my third stator, in 112,000 miles. Hope the money hungry thieves at Suzuki are proud of their inferior product design furious. Last Suzuki bike I'll own.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
Well if there was in fact a design flaw "time will tell", than that most certainly makes sense to the failures, but agree taking this long to find it is unacceptable. These are some of the very most reliable bikes out there, matter of fact Suzuki bikes overall are extremely reliable across the product line. Might be time for you to move on, lots of great choices out there. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just curious, what electrical accessories do people who have "burnt up" stators have on their bikes? Is this more related to heat build up or is it load related? Trying to better understand the reason(s) for the high failure rate.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Suzuki says the high failure rate is due to the output wires being hot glued to the frame where they exit. The entire wiring system is sealed in epoxy after that. When the stator gets hot, the glue melts and the wires within the glued area can move and abrade against each other and the frame. The stators get their hottest when running no extra electrical accessories. The shunt type regulator takes the constant stator output and turns unused power into heat. The recall replacement stators on the 2012-2016 DL650s don't use glue. The 2014 and later DL1000s use series type regulators instead of shunt type.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
Why would anyone do such a thing, unless of course they were on a big trip and just needed to get back home?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Because the new OEM's are backordered. In Ontario I would have to wait 3-6 months to get one and some have been waiting longer if they are on a 1st gen bike with no stator recall issued.
I know it's not the best solution, but I ride my bike every day and don't want to wait with no bike until the dealership finally gives me one. I just chalk it up to a cost of riding, like tires or chains.
If there is another solution - I'm all ears.

edit: I just called my local Suzuki dealer and the OEM stator (part # 32101-17G12) is available for me at $407 - ready for pick-up within 4-5 days (it was 4 months wait when I called in about 2 months ago).
I'm still on the OEM regulator too - maybe a swap to the Shindengen SH775 is finally needed?

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
Because the new OEM's are backordered. In Ontario I would have to wait 3-6 months to get one and some have been waiting longer if they are on a 1st gen bike with no stator recall issued.
I know it's not the best solution, but I ride my bike every day and don't want to wait with no bike until the dealership finally gives me one. I just chalk it up to a cost of riding, like tires or chains.

edit: I just called my local Suzuki dealer and the OEM stator (part # 32101-17G12) is available for me at $407 - ready for pick-up within 4-5 days (it was 4 months wait when I called in about 2 months ago).
I'm still on the OEM regulator too - maybe a swap to the Shindengen SH775 is finally needed?
No no no....that is not the good part number or the latest model, nor should it even be order-able or in stock anywhere......see below from a post I made about my stator recall replacement.

Just got off the phone with service at my local dealer where I bought my XT, gave them my VIN and the recall pulled right up. She was already aware of the recall, so no problem with needing to explain anything further. They have my "kit" waiting for me when I bring the bike in, the kit is not available for us to install, it is only for the dealer networks and the recall. That part number for the kit is: 32100-17820-RX0 and individual stator part number which we can order is "32101-17G13" the original number which Greywolf gave and some of you have ordered looks to already have been changed, and that was "32101-17G12" Service proceeded to tell me that the G12 is not even showing to be order-able from any Suzuki warehouses and no restocking date is listed. So at this point I can only assume that the correct "stator" part number is "32101-17G13"

·
Registered
162 Posts

I had mine rewound by a local electrical expert. Cost was about CDN$140, it was fast and beautifully finished. And so far: so good. But I also bought an SH847 RR!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
No no no....that is not the good part number or the latest model, nor should it even be order-able or in stock anywhere......see below from a post I made about my stator recall replacement.
Thanks B.
I knew that after reading it elsewhere here and quoted that part number to the parts guy and he said nothing came up. The only part number that showed anything was the previous version, which is what I just put into my bike as a low mileage used item off ebay.

Do you think ordering this older part # would automatically be filled with the correct newer item?

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
Thanks B.
I knew that after reading it elsewhere here and quoted that part number to the parts guy and he said nothing came up. The only part number that showed anything was the previous version, which is what I just put into my bike as a low mileage used item off ebay.

Do you think ordering this older part # would automatically be filled with the correct newer item?
Hmmmmm can't imagine that part# would even be in the system, I know that Suzuki had all warehouses worldwide purged of those supposedly. I don't see how when the parts guy put in the latest part number, that it didn't come up....that is the new and latest part number for the stators, and what so many are still waiting on due to being back ordered.

·
38,048 Posts
The part ending in 13 was part of the stator recall kit for 2012-2016 models. It could be that's the only place those parts are going to for a while.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
The part ending in 13 was part of the stator recall kit for 2012-2016 models. It could be that's the only place those parts are going to for a while.
I am pretty sure that the "13" is the latest stator to be ordered from here on out, regardless of the recall kit part number.

·
38,048 Posts
I hope so. It would be pretty bad if Suzuki was still sending out 12s as replacements for Wees even though they were failing badly enough to cause a recall on Glees.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Excellent information! Thnaks, Greywolf...hoping that my 2009 never sees an issue.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'll go in person to the dealership and see if I can get some greater details about these part numbers.

I also have a contact who has been a Suzuki parts guy for decades and I'll try to see if I can get in touch and get some clarification.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As an old K- Bike BMW rider, 250,000 +, I'm familiar with the old air heads that the stator was to be replaced at 65,000 some of my fellow cheap Beamer friends might get 80,000, and burn up on a Mid-west , Canadian ride an spoil the trip, but hey that is another tale and 30 years ago. Hey BMW did the same with rear bearings on the big K1200 for several years, maybe Suzuki will man up an grow a pair and reimburse the faithful for continued support of non support. Humble yours. ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I ordered a stator for my 08' Wee from Bike Bandit in July. They cancelled the order after about 6 weeks. I ordered it again on Tuesday 12/19 (3 days ago) OEM part number 32101-17G13. I just received an email stating my order has shipped. Can this be true? Has the mother ship finally taken care of all the recalls and are now releasing this unobtanium part to the general public, or are they just messing with me? Time will tell...I WILL REPORT BACK

·
Registered
859 Posts
Suzuki says the high failure rate is due to the output wires being hot glued to the frame where they exit. The entire wiring system is sealed in epoxy after that. When the stator gets hot, the glue melts and the wires within the glued area can move and abrade against each other and the frame. The stators get their hottest when running no extra electrical accessories. The shunt type regulator takes the constant stator output and turns unused power into heat. The recall replacement stators on the 2012-2016 DL650s don't use glue. The 2014 and later DL1000s use series type regulators instead of shunt type.
My post-recall stator started losing voltage during the hot Texas summer. After about 10 minutes on the main slab the voltage would start dropping until when I got home it would be down to 11 volts or so. I swapped my series regulator with the original to see if it was a regulator problem and got same thing.
Damned local dealer was too lazy to take it out - they just let it idle in the shop. When it didn't show a voltage drop they claimed they couldn't reproduce it. This after I showed them a video.
Sure enough with winter here it acts fine. It makes the bike unreliable for any kind of extended ride and that annoys hell out of me.

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
My post-recall stator started losing voltage during the hot Texas summer. After about 10 minutes on the main slab the voltage would start dropping until when I got home it would be down to 11 volts or so. I swapped my series regulator with the original to see if it was a regulator problem and got same thing.
Damned local dealer was too lazy to take it out - they just let it idle in the shop. When it didn't show a voltage drop they claimed they couldn't reproduce it. This after I showed them a video.
Sure enough with winter here it acts fine. It makes the bike unreliable for any kind of extended ride and that annoys hell out of me.
Hmmmmm....batteries hate heat and yours could be on its way out, might consider swapping that out and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts