StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Suzuki! Three stinking stators in 85,000 miles! Address your problems or lose a two time buyer to Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm about to go on my 3rd regulator, I'm on my 2nd stator, about to go on my 2nd clutch - in only 50,000 miles! This also doesn't include the starter switch that needed replacing, and the oil leak that has been the result of a hairline crack in the engine itself. WTF?
Bike has been maintained from day 1 by authorized Suzuki head mechanic. I'm also a 2 time Suzuki buyer:(

On a side note... I'll be coming down to the Dragon in 30 days!!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'm about to go on my 3rd regulator, I'm on my 2nd stator, about to go on my 2nd clutch - in only 50,000 miles! This also doesn't include the starter switch that needed replacing, and the oil leak that has been the result of a hairline crack in the engine itself. WTF?
Bike has been maintained from day 1 by authorized Suzuki head mechanic. I'm also a 2 time Suzuki buyer:(

On a side note... I'll be coming down to the Dragon in 30 days!!
Maybe you laying it down way to often?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lots of info on stator failures. Mine burned out with 21,000 km on the clock. In Thunder Bay of all places, took four days to get a replacement.
Suzuki just do not care.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've had issues with Honda, Yamaha, and recently with Suzuki electrical systems, usually starts around 30,000 miles. Makes me appreciate the ST1300 alternator system, zero problems even at 70,000 miles. Any bike/ATV that uses a stator set up has issues if you keep it long enough. But, I have to say the magnets coming loose is a stupid design.

Suzuki does not make regulators, maybe you should try a better model, different brand etc. Although I've never had a R/R fail, I'm happy with my upgraded series type because the voltage is more steady and higher. I personally do a full electrical check out on stator bikes if the voltage drops below average. At least its easy on the V Strom, easy to pull the cover an look during a chain and sprocket change if the magnets are OEM. My magnets all touched and the stator burnt in two places, but the bike had extra lights on it when I bought it used. I took them off.

I vote for air cooled alternators on ADV bikes, much more durable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts