StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 946 Posts

·
Administrator
13,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is common knowledge or has been posted previously but I just saw a post on Facebook that said the following:

"ATTENTION ALL V-Storm Owners: My local dealership called me yesterday and said that a system wide service recall has been issued for premature stator burnout. Contact your local dealership for info. Parts have not yet been released, but are expected to soon. I replaced my stator 2 months ago.. the local shop is working with Suzuki to reimburse me."

It was on a DL650 group but don't know if it applies to other Stroms as well.

If someone has more detail you might want to post it here.

..Tom

(Mods if it ends up only being for DL650 please move to appropriate forum.)

·
Administrator
13,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
685 Posts
Reactions: BTW

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
The DL650 isn't listed, just the 1000. Personally.....Suzuki should do the right thing and replace all DL650 shunt R/R with a new series unit, but we know that won't happen.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The DL650 isn't listed, just the 1000. Personally.....Suzuki should do the right thing and replace all DL650 shunt R/R with a new series unit, but we know that won't happen.
Interestingly DL1000 2008-2010 and 2012 are listed but 2011 is not. Different supplier?

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The DL1000 was not imported in 2011.

·
38,048 Posts
I think 2009 was the last year the DL1000 was available in Europe due to emissions regulations. It was not available in the US in 2010 due to overstock and the economy. It wasn't available in the US again until 2012, its last year of availability anywhere AFAIK until the Vee2 came out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got back from my dealer. Coincidentally, they had all of their new Strom 650's tagged as "sold." When I asked them about it, they weren't actually sold, but on a sales hold due to the stator recall. My 16' is affected as well. They didn't know much yet other than the recall is related to the stator. Said I should be receiving a letter from Suzuki soon. Oh well, probably just a bad production run of stators..

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I just got back from my dealer. Coincidentally, they had all of their new Strom 650's tagged as "sold." When I asked them about it, they weren't actually sold, but on a sales hold due to the stator recall. My 16' is affected as well. They didn't know much yet other than the recall is related to the stator. Said I should be receiving a letter from Suzuki soon. Oh well, probably just a bad production run of stators..
I start wondering if series RR upgrade was too rushed on my account.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Reactions: midnite

·
38,048 Posts
32101-17G12 is shown in the parts fiches as replacing the 32101-17G11 in 2012-2016 DL650s and 32101-17G10 in 2007-2011 DL650s.

32101-17G13 is the stator used for the recall though.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Curious...I have a 2015 650 and find nothing on the US Suzuki website about ANY recall for my VIN. I was just at the dealer last week having the first service done and they didn't say anything either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I know on the tappet recall the dealers got their letter months ahead of any general or customer notifications including the VIN being loaded on the recall web site. These things kind of roll slowly geographically and from older to newer years. The US tends to be later on the recalls. Suzuki has to deal with making the parts available. I bet an urgent safety recall would be different.

Curious...I have a 2015 650 and find nothing on the US Suzuki website about ANY recall for my VIN. I was just at the dealer last week having the first service done and they didn't say anything either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EddieFL

·
Administrator
13,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know on the tappet recall the dealers get their letter months ahead of any general or customer notifications including the VIN being loaded on the recall web site. This things kind of roll slowly geographically and from older to newer years. The US tends to be later on the recalls. Suzuki has to deal with making the parts available. I bet an urgent safety recall would be different.
My experience on the recall on my 2015 DL1000 confirms what you are saying. When the recall was first announced I searched by vin and mine wasn't affected. It was just 2014 models at first. A few weeks later my vin showed up.

..Tom

·
Registered
859 Posts
Interesting - I will now hold off on my regulator changeover.
I wonder if it's just a beefier stator or does it also involve a regulator change as well...

·
Administrator
17,092 Posts
If this is just the same ole crap going back in, I most certainly won't be doing this. I wish somehow a Suzuki Rep could explain exactly what this is and "why", that would sure make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update on my end. My VIN popped at the dealer as a bike with the "stator" recall. However the VIN does not have any recall status on the Suzuki website. I'm going to keep riding with the assumption that if it was serious, I would have been notified by now, or at least it would show up on the Suzuki website. If my bike catches on fire at speed, I'll be sure to notify the group:)

1 - 20 of 946 Posts