StromTrooper banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't had a chance yet to pull off my cover and check the magnets, maybe today after work... but as for torqueing the rotor center bolt, I was thinking that a person could put it into 3rd? gear or so, and have someone else hold the rear brake. Which should hold things nice and tight. OR option 2 if they have an impact gun, get a torque stick of the appropriate torque and have at 'er.

I really did not like the idea of putting 115ft lb of static torque through everything when the engineering was all based on a motor that puts out I think 55ft lb of rotational torque. It seems like a bad idea in my books.

I made something up from a 2x2 aluminum square stock, didnt take all that long and gave me peace of mind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got my rebuilt magnet/flywheel assembly installed and tested now, just under 90v at 5000 rpm
Not bad since I had to JB one of the magnets that was broken in two back together :)
Happy with that but wondering about balance...

Did you guys worry about balancing the flywheel after adding the mass of the JB weld?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really did not like the idea of putting 115ft lb of static torque through everything when the engineering was all based on a motor that puts out I think 55ft lb of rotational torque. It seems like a bad idea in my books.

I see your point. Might have to build a similar tool. Got my cover off today and NEED to break out the JB Weld Also was a little concerned about the windings. Notably the one where the screwdriver handle is... until I removed it from the cover and saw that it was due to the way the wires are attached. Although as I look at the picture the few that are clockwise / to the left of the screwdriver seem a bit darker than the rest.

Does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the bolt/tool to pull the rotor. I think it is 21 x 1.5 mm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my KLV 1000 magnets JB Weld -ed in place for a couple of years now. One of the problems is the epoxy tries to "migrate" over the magnets due to the steel content. I used masking tape on the magnets and suitably sized lengths of clear plastic flexible tubing over the joint. When the epoxy had set firm, but not hard, I removed the plastic and masking tape. The tubing left a nice concave filling as can be seen in the photo.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,107 Posts
Nice.

I haven't had any JB Weld migration after 2+ years (haven't opened up the stator casing since then), fwiw. Hard to see how it would do that, since it's cured hard as a rock.

I used a lot less JB Weld though. Just small fillets at the bases of the magnets. Didn't try to fill the gaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice.

I haven't had any JB Weld migration after 2+ years (haven't opened up the stator casing since then), fwiw. Hard to see how it would do that, since it's cured hard as a rock.

I used a lot less JB Weld though. Just small fillets at the bases of the magnets. Didn't try to fill the gaps.
I meant that the epoxy migrates when being applied, and still wet, due to the steel content in the epoxy being drawn by the magnetic force. Once set, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Appropriate Amount of JB Weld for Stator Magnets???

Hi all,

I'm at a loss here. My K3 Vee was charging down in the 11 volt range last year, so I opened it up and sure enough, the stator magnets had migrated. I cleaned them off and stuck them back in place in the correct polarities, and then added JB Weld between them. A month or two later, charging in the 11 volt range again. The JB Weld had all disappeared and the magnets had migrated again. This time I put more JB Weld on, as much as I was comfortable with, and pinned it back up. Well, whaddya know, it's charging low AGAIN. I don't want to completely fill the gaps between the magnets, as this seems like it'll drastically increase the weight of the flywheel, but I'm really confused as to how much is actually enough. Does anyone have a picture of their successful JB Weld fix showing the amount of stuff they used?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used JB weld under the magnets and used red plastic crimp butt connectors as spacers. Did 300 miles yesterday with good charging and brighter lights noticed by riding friends. Did not fill between, JB kept moving to top. Have a meter in the map pocket of tank bag now to watch voltage rate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have used JB weld under the magnets and used red plastic crimp butt connectors as spacers. Did 300 miles yesterday with good charging and brighter lights noticed by riding friends. Did not fill between, JB kept moving to top. Have a meter in the map pocket of tank bag now to watch voltage rate.
Dan, the top right magnet in your picture has moved. I guess that was the "before" picture?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dan, the top right magnet in your picture has moved. I guess that was the "before" picture?
Yes it was a before pic. Only got 200 some miles today before the voltage dropped, made it home w/ one headlight !! I think I need a heavier bead of jb w/ something to hold it down in the gaps.Will be putting it back on the lift.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts