StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I am looking at a possible trade of my 2006 DL650 for a 2005 DL1000. While the Vee runs great (it has been "yosh boxed") I do have one concern. That concern is that while the Vee only has approximately 21,000 miles on it ... it just had it's 3rd (OEM) stator put on about 1,000 miles back.

While I am electrically impaired to an extent; 2 burned stators in 20,000 miles makes me think something else is most likely causing this problem. The dealership has never found a short, so my feeling is that the regulator/rectifier is the most likely suspect. My suspicion is that it (the R/R) must either be undercharging and/or overcharging at times and thus burning out the Stator.

Any thoughts or suggestions on either other possibilities or what to check on the R/R?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Banks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Look at the last comment on that thread. Check the positions of the permanent magnets on the rotor. They need to be firmly attached and equally spaced.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies and not "frying me" for poor searching skills.

It does indeed look from all the postings that the R/R is the likely culprit. Sort of typical for dealers in the area though. Just replace the obviously failed part and don't spend anytime trying to figure out why the same part keeps failing.

In any event, I think assuming we work this deal out ... that I will just go ahead and have the original stock R/R replaced with a Mosfet.

Thanks again everyone for both the courtesy of the replies and the tenor of those replies as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts