Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What years on the 1000 are the stator and magnets could be a possible problem. I have a 2005, very happy with it. I am sure at some point I will upgrade. Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
What years on the 1000 are the stator and magnets could be a possible problem. I have a 2005, very happy with it. I am sure at some point I will upgrade. Thanks
I believe its the entire 1st Gen. 2002-2012. Afterwards they moved to an entirely different design that make the magnets part of the stator, rather than "glued" on.

If you're not sure if your bike has been fixed, you can do the fix anyway to make sure it doesn't happen. It's the same amount of work, but it's not that much and you can do it on your terms, rather than making a it a field repair or tow job.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Actually, the 2002 is different (only 4 magnets), but not sure if the 6 magnet design started in 2003 or 2004. I've been told the magnet migration problem is mostly, if not always, on the 6 magnet stators. I hope that is right and I don't have to worry about it. Voltmeter is installed anyway, because there still could be a R/R problem develop.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually, the 2002 is different (only 4 magnets), but not sure if the 6 magnet design started in 2003 or 2004. I've been told the magnet migration problem is mostly, if not always, on the 6 magnet stators. I hope that is right and I don't have to worry about it. Voltmeter is installed anyway, because there still could be a R/R problem develop.

Cheers,

Glenn
I'm thinking it was 2004, as it it was a pretty significant revision. Either way, applied to the OP's bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts

Cheers,
Glenn
The 14-current 1000ish models have "encapsulated" magnets in the rotor, which means no chance of chipping/breaking or migrating magnets. The 650's have had this design for quite some time, which has been another reason overall why the 650's had been more reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts