StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am balancing my wheels after Cycle Gear installed new Shinko 705 tires. I use the traditional static balance with small weights. I have a 2009 650ABS.

Do you recommend doing the balance with or without the rear sprocket attached? I removed it for the balance but not sure of that is proper. I have not put the wheel back on the bike yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thank you. Another question I forgot to ask... Since the wheel is so wide, should the weights be spread out on both sides, or is placing the weights on a single side sufficient?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you checking for concentricity?
I believe you are asking if the wheel hub is in the true center. I can only assume it is. If that is not what you mean, I may need an explanation. Sorry!

I bought the bike with about 20,000 miles and the tires were ~12 years old. They still had tread and rode quite smooth but I felt it best to change them given the age (I know that is a whole different conversation). They were Anakee Adventures and I liked the feel. I was unable to locate the same tires but did find Shinko 705s at my local Cycle Gear. They mounted and balanced the tires but I can feel a very low (but constant) buzzing that was not there before. My wife sometimes rides on the back and she could definitely feel the vibration. I could also hear the tires on the road which is not something I experienced with the older Anakee tires. I decided I wanted to balance myself (if that was the issue) so I purchased a static balancer and weights from Rocky Mountain ATVMC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses. What a great forum for assistance!

I static balanced both front and rear wheels and reinstalled them. There is still a slight hum / buzz at all speeds but it is less than before balancing. But more importantly, there is no shimmy or vibration that is problematic. I think the fact I replaced the Anakee Adventures with Shinko 705s without expecting any difference in 'feel' is where my problem lies. I am predominantly an off road rider and my dirt bikes use soft but knobby tires. I don't have a lot of road experience or what to expect but hopefully my V-Strom will take care of that. :)

Thanks again for all of the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a great question about the Anakee tires. You may be correct that they were not the "Adventure". I looked at photos of when I bought the bike and I see Michelin Anakee logo on each, but I do not see the word Adventure. I have the previous owner's records and they were installed in 2011. The date stamp on each tire was from year 2010.

When I went to replace the tire, I searched for the Michelin Anakee tire and the reviews for the "Adventure" were positive. I made the assumption that the older tires were the 'Adventure' tire, but obviously not if they were not made back in 2010. Good catch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts