StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am balancing my wheels after Cycle Gear installed new Shinko 705 tires. I use the traditional static balance with small weights. I have a 2009 650ABS.

Do you recommend doing the balance with or without the rear sprocket attached? I removed it for the balance but not sure of that is proper. I have not put the wheel back on the bike yet.
Are you checking for concentricity?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I believe you are asking if the wheel hub is in the true center. I can only assume it is. If that is not what you mean, I may need an explanation. Sorry!

I bought the bike with about 20,000 miles and the tires were ~12 years old. They still had tread and rode quite smooth but I felt it best to change them given the age (I know that is a whole different conversation). They were Anakee Adventures and I liked the feel. I was unable to locate the same tires but did find Shinko 705s at my local Cycle Gear. They mounted and balanced the tires but I can feel a very low (but constant) buzzing that was not there before. My wife sometimes rides on the back and she could definitely feel the vibration. I could also hear the tires on the road which is not something I experienced with the older Anakee tires. I decided I wanted to balance myself (if that was the issue) so I purchased a static balancer and weights from Rocky Mountain ATVMC.
Sure. If you wish to balance the rotating assembly complete you are being very thorough but given the sprocket sub-assembly is machined on center, it's contributions to balance would be inconsequential.
In your second entry you speak more to a buzz or vibration. You changed tires and noted the change afterward. In this you answered your own question. As the rubber tread blocks slam into the road surface they howl in protest. If you want knobbie tires on the street, you are going to get knobbie behavior in return. Out of balance wheel assembly will hop or shake at the frequency of rotation giving off a sound that will drive elephants crazy. Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts