StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just did a search and didn't quite see my problem so I'm posting here for some advice...

I ride to work on a highway for about 30 miles. I get to work and leave my bike alone for at least an hour. I then get on it and try to start it. It won't start unless I give it a little throttle. It will stall unless I keep the revs around 2-3,000 for about 5 seconds, then everything is fine.

It works great if I start it right after I turn the bike off. It also starts great in the morning for the first time.

I actually stopped by and talked to an auto shop teacher and he told me that it sounded like a coolant temperature issue because the bike sounded "lean".

I saw a few symptoms like this by a past poster but he had to screw around with his idle settings...

So...what do you think it is?

Thanks ahead of time...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hard starting when the engine is hot could indicate tight valves... But, I am leaning towards the typical "cranky" 1000 issues... What year do you have? Is it past due for a valve clearance check?...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If the air temperature is high or the bike is parked in the sun, the intakes can be flooded with fuel tank vapor getting through the charcoal canister. It's not unusual and opening the throttle to let in more air is the standard remedy.

The engine needs to be hot for hard starting to be a valve problem and opening the throttle won't help much. If the engine dies at the end of the ride, it's a TPS problem. Based on the description, flooding is likely and opening the throttle if it doesn't start right away is the cure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try the next thing, next time, come back after an hour, pull slowly on the throttle, hold it for a sec and let go... The try cranking... If it starts right up and keeps expected revs then I know what's your problem...
I think you called it...

I got on the bike. Turned the key and let the fuel injector finish it's whining. The slowed rolled the throttle to half way and back off again. Turned the key. Immediate start with no rough sounding engine and the correct idle speed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you called it...

I got on the bike. Turned the key and let the fuel injector finish it's whining. The slowed rolled the throttle to half way and back off again. Turned the key. Immediate start with no rough sounding engine and the correct idle speed.
What greywolf said above... Hope you don't have a habit of cool revving and shutting the ignition?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What greywolf said above... Hope you don't have a habit of cool revving and shutting the ignition?
I'm not sure what cool revving and shutting the ignition is. I do usually turn the key off to shut down the bike. But my morning commute is about 30 minutes long so the bike gets warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts