StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Vstrom 650 with about 20,000 miles. It has an intermittent starting problem which I have been unable to figure out.

Normally the bike starts right up but every once in a while, when I turn on the key, the gauges come alive, headlight comes on and fuel pump spins up but when I pull in the clutch and push the starter button, the headlight dims but nothing else happens.

I have checked all the normal things -- clutch switch, kickstand switch and starter switch and they all seem to be functioning normally. I have had this to the shop more than once but of course it never shows up there.

To date, I have replaced the battery and tip over switch but those haven't cured the problem. Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You may have a marginal contact in the clutch switch or starter switch. The side stand and kill switches would show a CHEC at the clock position if they were involved and the fuel pump would not run. The pump would also not run if the tip over switch was a problem. The lights don't dim when the button is pressed, the normally closed contacts open and the lights go out entirely. A battery strong enough to run the fuel pump would at least click the starter relay. If the starter relay is not clicking, the relay itself, the clutch switch, the starter switch or a connector on a switch's wiring would be places to look. Probably the first thing I'd try is to unplug the clutch switch and connect the two wires going to it. If that allows cranking, replace the clutch switch. That year and model bike won't idle properly in neutral with the clutch lever out if the clutch wires are connected.

·
Administrator
14,009 Posts
...That year and model bike won't idle properly in neutral with the clutch lever out if the clutch wires are connected.
I thought that was true with the 07 on, not for earlier bikes?

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
I thought that was true with the 07 on, not for earlier bikes?
That's correct. I somehow got the idea it was a 2009. If the rider doesn't mind, the clutch safety switch on a 2006 Wee can be bypassed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have a marginal contact in the clutch switch or starter switch. The side stand and kill switches would show a CHEC at the clock position if they were involved and the fuel pump would not run. The pump would also not run if the tip over switch was a problem. The lights don't dim when the button is pressed, the normally closed contacts open and the lights go out entirely. A battery strong enough to run the fuel pump would at least click the starter relay. If the starter relay is not clicking, the relay itself, the clutch switch, the starter switch or a connector on a switch's wiring would be places to look. Probably the first thing I'd try is to unplug the clutch switch and connect the two wires going to it. If that allows cranking, replace the clutch switch. That year and model bike won't idle properly in neutral with the clutch lever out if the clutch wires are connected.
I did unplug the clutch switch and connect the two wires when I was having the problem and it didn't change anything. I don't think I hear the starter relay click when I am having the problem so I think I'll try replacing that.
Thanks for your comments.

·
38,103 Posts
The starter relay coil is fed by a B/Y and a Y/G wire. B/Y is ground when the clutch switch is working and Y/G is hot when the starter button is pressed. Before doing anything else, I'd check that pulling the clutch lever puts ground to the B/Y wire and pushing the starter button puts battery voltage into the Y/G wire. If not, the relay is not the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks for that info. I will check that. If the Y/G wire is hot when I push the start button, wouldn't that rule out the starting switch, clutch switch and relay?

·
38,103 Posts
ok, thanks for that info. I will check that. If the Y/G wire is hot when I push the start button, wouldn't that rule out the starting switch, clutch switch and relay?
It would rule out the start switch only. The clutch switch completes the ground side of the circuit. If the relay is bad, it still wouldn't work if it got power and ground. Like StromTech says, the start switch is the usual culprit. You said you checked it, but I don't know whether you did that by an electrical check or a visual or what. By what you've written so far, I don't think you have a real clear idea of the way the systems interact so I want to see if power and ground are making it to the relay. That's pretty much midway into the circuit and a good electrical check on the start switch and connectors which are the usual problem areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As greywolf said its one of the two. Most probably is the wire plug connecting to the clutch switch.

Check that first.

At least this was in my case and I know is really common.
Get a CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner Aerosol and clean first the electrical contacts on the wire plug on the bottom of the clutch switch.

I also applied some electrical contact grease to keep the water and dirt out of the contact area. I did not have any more problems since I did this fix two years ago.

I take this opportunity to thank one more time to graywolf for his great advices. They save me lots of money and improved my skills. If I ever meet you, I will pay for lunch or dinner. The least I can do....

·
Registered
12 Posts
had the same symptoms as Icrouse - with the detais above quickly tracked down to clutch switch - sorted in seconds .. Big thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Vstrom 650 with about 20,000 miles. It has an intermittent starting problem which I have been unable to figure out.

Normally the bike starts right up but every once in a while, when I turn on the key, the gauges come alive, headlight comes on and fuel pump spins up but when I pull in the clutch and push the starter button, the headlight dims but nothing else happens.

I have checked all the normal things -- clutch switch, kickstand switch and starter switch and they all seem to be functioning normally. I have had this to the shop more than once but of course it never shows up there.

To date, I have replaced the battery and tip over switch but those haven't cured the problem. Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks.
same thing for me except i get a click noise when hitting the start button any one know what is wrong with my bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts