StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow V-Strommers,

I own a 4 year old DL-650 and lately I've encountered a problem that I hope someone here might be able to help me with.

On 3 separate occasions over the past week it's taken me several attempts to start the bike. The strange thing is, as I press the starter switch, nothing happens at all, no ignition, nothing. Each time this has happened so far, on the 6th or 7th go it eventually starts as normal. Could it be a wiring issue? Today it happened again and I held the starter switch down for a while. Sure enough after about 10 seconds of absolutely nothing, it starts!

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Take a look at the little connector under the left grip. It is an interlock switch for the clutch. It comes loose and or off, leaving the bike with no start or intermittent start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bob I just checked the interlock switch and it seems to be in it's correct position. (Forgive my ignorance but thats the small black connector with 2 wires inside that run down the handlebars from under the left grip?). It's connected and looks to be in perfect condition.

One thought that just occurred to me is it's been raining a LOT lately and my bike has been outside. Perhaps some water got in somewhere and is playing up with the connection?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Okay you have checked the clutch lock out have you also checked the side stand lock switch?
Blindingly obvious silly question but you are pulling the clutch lever in every time you push the starter aren't you and you are not trying to start the bike in gear with the side stand down and clutch pulled in.
At four years old and the end of winter there is a good chance that the battery may also be on the way out. Check it's voltage and give it a good charge and monitor it in case it's time for a new one.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The clutch switch and starter switch are the ones free of other symptoms. The engine just won't crank. The side stand switch and kill switch will put a CHEC at the clock position and darken all the temperature bars on the panel to attract the rider's attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciating the quick responses.

K1W1 - I usually start up while i'm off the bike (side stand is down) to give it a chance to warm up while i put my gear on. I always start up the same way: bike in neutral, clutch lever in, kill switch on, ignition switch. The problem has also occurred while sitting on the bike (side stand up) and using the same method of starting. Oh and the battery is only 4 months old and I am in Canada so it's the end of summer here!

I'll check the side stand switch in the morning, however I always start in neutral so i doubt if that would have any effect.

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Battery is only 4 months old. Check the connections are tight. Many have been known to come loose. These bikes really don't need to warm up more than about 30 seconds, but that's up to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started fine this morning. Battery terminals/connections look good. I think I'll put this down as water getting in to the clutch lock switch or side stand lock switch and causing havoc. It's been raining solild for about 5 days and my bike has been out in all of it. Also I read on a different thread that this was the problem for someone else.

I'll see how it goes this week when things dry up a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Started fine this morning. Battery terminals/connections look good.
I don't trust terminals that look good unless I just cleaned them.

The only real way to make sure they are good connections is to take them off, scrape the oxidation off the posts, scrape the oxidation off the cable connectors, put them back together, and tighten them down.

I don't want to think about all the times I had to do this in cages I owned as a kid, standing in a snowstorm, at night, with the air temp at 10 degrees F and the wind at 30MPH. They looked good, but they weren't. :furious:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts