StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum AND to motorcycle maintenance. I have a basic understanding of most systems and mechanical concepts but limited experience performing my own maintenance.
Tore my ACL playing rugby awhile back so my bike sat for a couple months. Then I let a friend borrow the bike for about 1 month and it ran well. Sat for another month before my knee was strong enough to ride again. Started up right away, albeit a little weakly. Ran for one minute before it died and would not restart. Took the battery for a check and it was bad so I just replaced that, however......it still will not start. My guess is a dirty fuel filter. Any theories or previously solved similar sounding cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.......one more edit, just tried it again after it sat overnight. The battery shows 12.5V and it started up on the first attempt with me opening the throttle, rev'd for about 3 secs and then died. Would crank but not restart. This is exactly what it did when I first tried to ride it after it sat for a month.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
After difficulty starting, excess unburned fuel may inhabit the intakes. If the starter was cranking but the engine not firing, try opening the throttle to add more air until you find an opening where the engine starts to fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely have to open the throttle quite a bit to get it to start. After it does start, it will rev for a second or two then sputter out. Then it won't restart no matter what I do with the throttle.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
As it will run it sounds like it has spark so fuel supply is the likely problem.

If you hear your fuel pump prime it could be time for a flow test.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It could be a leaking fuel injector but opening the throttle while cranking usually works otherwise. It may require opening fully. If it works better open than closed, too much fuel in the intakes is the problem. That would be an injector or lack of air rather than the fuel pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts