StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter relay switch went out. Ordered one, but wont be here for a week. If I just bridge the the Pos/neg leads on the switch to start the bike, just useing a piece of wire, then remove the wire when started of course, will that cause and long term damage to electrical system until I can get the new part in?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would not advise anyone on what to do in this litigious age, But back in the days when it was easier to work on cars, when a starter relay went bad we would jump the connections with the big wires with a pair of pliers. It worked, but you would want to use older pliers as it slightly uglied up the pliers. If I was using a wire for this purpose I would use a thick wire. a thin wire would likely burn me.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You are bridging positive from the battery to the starter cable "not positive to negative."

The bridge could get hot and will carry some current so you need something substantial like the end of a spanner that is a good fit.

There will be no long term damage just some burn marks and possibly a few sparks, now the gasses given off by a charging battery are very explosive so a great deal of caution should be used.

If you have any heavy cable you could run the ends to a safer place to do the bridging.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you can, I would jump it right at the relay. jump from one connection with big wire to the other connection with big wire. that will simulate current passing through the relay as it normally does.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Good advice above. Only down side is in having to remove the seat each time, to access the start relay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts