StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a ride today in the mist / rain. I stopped at about 150 miles and filled up with gas. After filling up, I turned on the key and hit the starter button and....nothing happened. The dash lit up and the fuel pump cycled, but not response from the starter button. I found no obvious loose wires. Luckily the gas station was at the top of the hill, so I coasted down the hill and popped the clutch in 1 st gear. The bike started up and I rode the 150 miles home. I shut it off in the garage and tried the starter again. It fired right up. Any one else have a similar experience? Any ideas what might have been going on? I was on wet roads before filling up, but the ride home was dry and warm. Short in the starter from the wet conditions?

Earl

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The clutch lever switch is the usual culprit when no CHEC or FI appear.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Thanks. Should I look into a prophalytic replacement or see if the problem persists?
First see if a wire was pulled loose. If it looks okay, short the two wires together. If that lets you start the bike, the switch is the problem. Riding the bike with the switch jumpered will cause idling problems on 2007 and later 650s so a bad switch should be replaced but I can't see replacing a good one. Try a jumper wire first to check.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First see if a wire was pulled loose. If it looks okay, short the two wires together. If that lets you start the bike, the switch is the problem. Riding the bike with the switch jumpered will cause idling problems on 2007 and later 650s so a bad switch should be replaced but I can't see replacing a good one. Try a jumper wire first to check.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you put new handguards on? When I put my stock suzuki ones on, I missed the switch the first time and shoved it up past the clutch lever, luckily I caught it before I was done though.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I had a similar problem once, it seemed the clutch switch had a dead spot, I would hold the starter button down while pulling in the clutch handle and I could find a spot where the starter caught.. oddly enough it was only a rare occurance and has not re-occurred in a long time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happened again today. The connector came loose. Plugged it back in and it fired right up.

Earl

·
Registered
381 Posts
If it's the clutch switch it's happened to most of us. The connection on my bike is just too loose so I smeared a little silicon on the outside where it joins together and it's stayed in place ever since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts