StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 DL650, 17,000 miles.
When I start cold, it always fires right up.

After riding for awhile, if I stop for gas and then start up, there is a lag, almost seems like its not going to start, then fires up. But this is intermittent, not every time

So, never happens at a cold start, the lag is most noticeable after a short shut down, such as re-fueling, when the engine is at its hottest.

What would cause this symptom? (the battery is less than a year old)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Is the lag between the button push and the starter motor cranking or between the starter motor cranking and the engine firing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could be battery

I know a battery usually shows signs of age after sitting for a day or more and then not have enough juice to turn over engine. But... another, maybe less frequent sign is having starting issues when everything is nice and hot. The heat can effect a worn battery and also a hot engine can have more compression than when cold, making more work for the starter and demanding more power from the battery. I'd get the battery load-tested when hot (just drive it to an auto parts store - it's usually free).

I've only had my Wee for 2 weeks (raining most of that time) so I have not had enough time to learn about the bikes quirks. I'm sure enjoying this forum, though.

Good luck,
Tim

2004 DL650

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine did that when I first got it (It was used). It is a 2007 and had the original battery.

I replaced the battery and it was cured ...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Check the wiring connections. If okay, have the battery load tested.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check wiring and have it load tested, I had the same issue last year and replaced the battery. I suppose the new battery went bad?

If it does test okay and the wiring is good? To be continued........

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked battery this morning, cold @12.9 volts. started fine, 13.5 idle volts, 14.5 volts under light throttle. Had it load tested, passed. good battery.

When I was talking to the rep at the counter, I mentioned the problem I was having, he stated the same thing happened to his boss's car after re-fueling

I'm wondering if the problem has anything to do with filling the tank. Could it be possible, any connection there? What about if its unusually hot when filling up??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since adding a headlight relay kit, thought that might help, I am still having the same intermittent issue.. hit the starter switch and the starter goes dead for a second or 2, then fires up,

again only when the engine is hot, always fires right up cold?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts