StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having issues with my starter button. I drove home last night with no headlight and the starter on the entire time......about 10 miles. When I pushed the starter button it would not come out on its own, it was just lifeless but still acting as if it was pushed in. Something is obviously not pushing the button back out. Not familiar with the guts but I'm going to have to dig in. I hardly know what a screwdriver is.........wish me luck.

· Banned
4,054 Posts
Been having issues with my starter button. I drove home last night with no headlight and the starter on the entire time......about 10 miles. When I pushed the starter button it would not come out on its own, it was just lifeless but still acting as if it was pushed in. Something is obviously not pushing the button back out. Not familiar with the guts but I'm going to have to dig in. I hardly know what a screwdriver is.........wish me luck.
On every bike I've owned there was a spring that pushed the button back out...

Maybe you just need to take your right hand switch assembly apart and shake the crud loose.

Oh, btw: a screwdriver is a tool commonly used to strip the heads off of screws. The flathead is most effective, but you can also do a decent job by using the wrong size torx.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
You can pull the assembly apart, be careful, there's a plastic blanking plate that will fall out and get lost.

I did that to mine, cleaned the contacts and greased everything with dielectric grease.

Pete

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
Well, I took it apart and went to unscrew the final screw and the button shot back into place. I guess it was just jammed, easy fix. :thumbup:
When you begin to have issues with your bike, keep in mind that it isn't the only V-Strom out on the road. There are plenty of others riding along with you! Therefor, also keep in mind that other folks are having the occasional issues as well. There is a TON of information regarding problems in the "How To" section of this forum.

Here is one that may be helpful to you: http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/44177-start-switch-maintenance-pics.html

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey BL...thanks. Mine has just begun to not engage the starter if I push button all the way in. If I push it until starter engages and no further...it does fine. Your excellent tutorial has just been printed in color so I will have it this winter when I fix the issue. Having no internet at home sucks.

Any TPS hints...see my post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.