StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for bike-to-bike communication using FRS/GMRS radios, with MP3 & GPS inputs. Looks like either of these will do the job, and they're priced similarly. Anybody have an opinion on either?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I researched long and hard. In the end customer testomonials and teh sample audio on the Starcom won me over. I have a Satrcom Advanced adn I love it. Do yourself a favor though and get the boom mic no mater what helmet you have. I got the other type and I am plain sick and tired of dealing with the dangeling mic (it refuses to stick to my flip up helmet and I am tired of trying to manage the wire... lesson learned and the boom mic will be on it's way soon.
You can check out my install and try it out if you like? On my bike of course...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Starcom advance, did a bit of research and at the time ( last year ) it was the most advanced kit. The autocom alledgedly is/was quite old technology, don't konw if they have upgraded yet.

I would go with the boom mike as well, it was far more comfortable than the stick-in one, which was quite 'chunky' so i would end up chewing it on long rides.

Haven't fitted it onto my dl1000 yet though as my electrics knowledge is not good so will trawl the site for ideas about installation.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have the Starcom1 Advance...

mostly from what I read as far as reviews from users. But what impressed me most was the dealer I bought it from...CaliforniaSportTouing. They're the largest dealer of Starcom products in the US and I can attest to the fact that the tech support/customer service has been phenomenal!* I ordered the wrong cable and when I called them for the correct one they overnighted it to me.

Ditto what Fisherman said, regardless of the helmet, get the open face headset with the boom mike.

If you really want to get the top end, give Kim a call at...

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=STAR1

*This comment in no way endorses the vendor or product. Your results may vary. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! I ordered a pair of Starcoms from casporttouring.com. And some radios. And cables for the radios and GPS. And some Hyper-Lites. And some crashbars to go with the skidplate I picked up Sunday.

I don't have a farkle problem--I can stop any time I want! No, really!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
...But what impressed me most was the dealer I bought it from...CaliforniaSportTouing. They're the largest dealer of Starcom products in the US and I can attest to the fact that the tech support/customer service has been phenomenal!
I have not had that experience so far. :mad:

Edit: I was wrong--they're awesome! See below...

·
Registered
21,984 Posts
I've been following this thread because I want to get a communication system

in the past, best wisdom was " don't waste your time trying the cheap route, just save your pennies for Autocomm"

so far in this thread all I've read is "most advanced technology"

I really want to hear about performance , like bike to bike at highway speed,

how about super cruise speeds :twisted:

I'd also like to add discussion about the Motocomm Rider Link ST-1 into the mix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
i have been patiently waiting for bluetooth technology to make it's way to intercom systems, and at long last it appears my wait is about to be over.

nolan helmets is on the verge of delivering its modular n-com system ... which provides small compartments in your helmet into which you can plug in headphones and bluetooth hardware.

with the bluetooth there are no wires. imagine putting on your helmet and immediately getting intercom connection with your passenger and hearing your bluetooth-enabled GPX/XM radio (like zumo 550). all with no wires attaching your helmet to the bike.

i suspect there will be some teething problems initially. i'm also a bit concerned about battery life for the bluetooth modules. so i'm going to wait a bit before buying. but if the system delivers as promised it will be a revelation, IMHO. more here:

http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a Nolan for use in work, i was really keen to get it as a replacement for my Shoei Syncrotec because i wanted the new bluetooth Nolan helmet for my next helmet.

Unfortunately i have to say i'll probably never buy one due to the noise- i think in the few weeks i have worn it i have done more damage to my ears ( even with plugs ) than the last few years put together. If the bluetooth version is as noisy you wouldn't be able to hear any conversation anyway, anything over 60 and i'm struggling to hear anything but wind noise alot of which appears to be generated by the helmet design.

Obviously a personal point of view, everyone is different

·
Registered
39 Posts
Noise cancellation anyone?

.....i'll probably never buy one due to the noise- i think in the few weeks i have worn it i have done more damage to my ears ( even with plugs ) than the last few years put together. ...
i'm surpirsed that the noise cancelling tech is not being integrated. i have a cheap pair of noise cancelling headphones i use on flights and i can't even hear the plane...

... don't know how they would work for wind noise, tho...

maybe get another pair and take the "shells" off of the back & mount in a helmet. i'll add that to my list of things to try...

·
Registered
39 Posts
....so far in this thread all I've read is "most advanced technology"
I really want to hear about performance , like bike to bike at highway speed.....
i agree on the autocom

somewhere on their company's webpages was a comparison at 70mph... the autocom was a lot better. the one tested against was a "never heard of" but you get to hear the sound...

if i find the link i'll post it
== edit==
oops it was the starcom site:
http://www.starcom1.com/competitors.htm

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
with the bluetooth there are no wires. imagine putting on your helmet and immediately getting intercom connection with your passenger and hearing your bluetooth-enabled GPX/XM radio (like zumo 550). all with no wires attaching your helmet to the bike.

i suspect there will be some teething problems initially. i'm also a bit concerned about battery life for the bluetooth modules. so i'm going to wait a bit before buying. but if the system delivers as promised it will be a revelation, IMHO. more here:
-Cardo Scala Rider has 3 different bluetooth headsets, including the teamset
-battery life is excellent (several days)
-clear audio at 80mph
-Zumo does not send XM audio via bluetooth

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glad it worked out for you...

Wow, was I ever wrong! There was some "confusion" initially, but what they've done to correct it blows me away. SPECTACULAR customer service!
my experience was excellent!

Nolan Ncom helmets are just reaching the market. Nolan's don't fit my head, seem to get the best fit with HJC and Arai. From my research the best Bluetooth technology for a motorcycle application is at least 2 years away.

Tried the Motocomm as a less expensive alternative, was defective on receipt. They fixed it free even sending me a call tag, but the damage was done and I returned the Motocomm and went to the top end. Very satisfied with sound quality in both the mp3 and FRS/GRMS communication. So far up to 90 mph and clear as a bell! Great product, great customer service! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
so autocom it is, is it?

.... I returned the Motocomm and went to the top end. Very satisfied with sound quality in both the mp3 and FRS/GRMS communication. So far up to 90 mph and clear as a bell! Great product, great customer service! :D
by top end i assume the out went with the autocom? that seems to be the best bet for me... but wanted an opinion about sound quality.

also, thanks to all for the tip on the boom mike, i never would've thot of that but will be going that route.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Brand loyalty...

by top end i assume the out went with the autocom? that seems to be the best bet for me... but wanted an opinion about sound quality.

also, thanks to all for the tip on the boom mike, i never would've thot of that but will be going that route.
Is typically based on what one owns. Confident that one's money was well spent.

In my case, I looked at what was important to me, product quality, service and customer service. In conversations with both manufactures I believe the Starcom product is of a more durable construction, alloy over plastic and technology (military grade). The true kicker was the dealer.

I am sure the Autocom is a top quality product, I simply chose differently based on my needs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is typically based on what one owns. Confident that one's money was well spent.

In my case, I looked at what was important to me, product quality, service and customer service. In conversations with both manufactures I believe the Starcom product is of a more durable construction, alloy over plastic and technology (military grade). The true kicker was the dealer.

I am sure the Autocom is a top quality product, I simply chose differently based on my needs.
i hope to actually see an autocom before i buy, but the nearest dealer is an hour away... the construction of the box and connector types are of concern.

having been in the military, i don't know if "military grade" would be a selling point to me... since they are usually 10 years behind the curve.

so what make/model did you get? i'm doing a lot of my research on this forum, so i need all the info from the field i can get. vendors' sites are all subjective and "pie-in-the-sky"...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts