StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially felt I would purchase the standard Vee2 and farkle the bike myself. Now I am wondering if I should purchase the adventure model, as the accessories for the Vee2 are very expensive if purchased separately. The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85, and who knows how expensive the side cases will be. If purchased separately, these farkles are significantly more expensive. What say you?:confused:

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'd be inclined to buy the ADV model, then if you don't like the OEM bags, remove them and sell them on e-bay and purchase the bags that you do want.

Even better, wait and buy and ADV model on clearance or lightly used. The thing about ADV bikes is that some people buy them, but then can't get used to the seat height, drop them once in a parking lot and then sell them on Craig's list with low mileage. At least, that's how I got my wee. :)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85,
Using the 650 as a price reference, Twisted Throttle has SW-Motech engine guards for $207. Hand guards (knuckle covers) @ $85 isn't bad. Shop around and you might find parts that better suit your needs for less money.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like the Factory Adventure Bags. I haven't had "Hard Bags" since my 2003 Gold Wing. I've been using soft bags on my DL650, when I take a trip. These will be better than those & easily detachable, since I usually ride with just a luggage rack tail bag around town & on short trips. Those Adventure Bags and larger "touring" windshield are probably worth the difference in price, by themselves. I look at the other items as "a Bonus"!!

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
I initially felt I would purchase the standard Vee2 and farkle the bike myself. Now I am wondering if I should purchase the adventure model, as the accessories for the Vee2 are very expensive if purchased separately. The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85, and who knows how expensive the side cases will be. If purchased separately, these farkles are significantly more expensive. What say you?:confused:
Those sound like factory prices, there are much better options with aftermarket units and much better prices as well. And Twistedthrottle will for sure cause you to want to spend money.......for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i priced out all the adv bags and such from the competitions before buying my adv model. i saved $1400 off the cheapes farkles i found, as similar to the adv equipment aws i could get. and the bonus was that i did not have to order, wait, and install....just wrote a check and rode home---and ordering a corbin within an hour of getting home. the adv windscreen fits me with no issues. i did add a $65 top box vs the $450 trax top box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i started pricing the extras out in the show room because i would have to wait on an adventure, i priced the engine guard at over 400 and decided to get the adventure, then they dropped my brand new bike, and thats when i found the bags were 1600 and on back oreder from suzuki for new ones, hand guards and engine guards got replaced as well, the adventure model is cheaper than adding your own

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought the Adventure model. DONE!
Or so I thought I wa$!
Dang farkles!!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Adventure model looks good. The bags aren't the most functional, but look good. The engine pebble guard looks good. I bought the Adv model, and I'm Ok I with my decision.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me I don't like to pay for something I don't want... I bought from my dealer the tank bag, the centre stand, the hand guard and the crash bar at discounted price ... when I need luggage I have a nice BMW bag that I can attached to the rear rack.

I feel it cost me less this way.

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
I thought seriously about the Adventure model, but after seeing it up close I realized the side bags and touring screen were WAY too small. I realized that for my needs I would be further ahead by upgrading a base model with better and cheaper aftermarket items.

This might help one way or the other.

Givi engine guards discounted to $225 (better coverage, build quality, and appearance (IMO) than SWM and about the same price or slighter cheaper when discounted).

Airflow Windscreen Discounted to $193.50 (the stock and taller adventure screen are OK, but the Airflow is in a class by itself).

Shad Sh36 side bags. $662 (They look fantastic on the Vee2 and the racks blend into the bike when the bags are removed).

I choose the Suzuki center stand because of the clearance issues with some of the aftermarket center stands in the past.

I went with the SH48 top case $310.50 with Vee2 specific fitment kit, but many people like the mid sized SH39.

Tank bags range in price from $40 to well over $200. There is a Shad Bag that looks remarkably similar to the Suzuki Vee2 tank bag for a `$100, but I chose the Givi XS308 tank lock system for it's simplicity of use and capacity. It also looks a great deal like the much more expensive Suzuki tank bag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Best to upgrade standard model

My 2012 650 V Strom was the adventure model which I felt offered a lot of value as it came with good quality engine guards and Trax panniers and top case; those items alone made it worth the extra money over base model. The hand guards and lower cowling weren't what I would have purchased on a bare bike but I considered them bonus items at that point.

With the 2014 V Strom 1000 I didn't see the same value in the Adventure model and decided it best to equip the bike the way I wanted rather than pay for items that I would want to replace later and then need to store or sell.

Very happy with my decision. So far I have added:
DrySpec Soft Luggage (Duffle and tube bags)
BarkBusters hand guards
Givi Airflow windscreen
Givi Tankbag with BF18 tank ring
SW Motech Engine Crashbars and Skid Plate
Peg lowering kit (Adventuretech)
Mirror extenders (Adventuretech)
Sidestand base plate (Adventuretech)
Windscreen GPS Mount (Adventuretech)

Still on wish list are:
Givi Rack and Panniers
Yosh exhast
Rotopax Fuel storage and a custom rear rack (hoping Adventuretech might develop something here)

The V Strom 1000 with all of these items still prices in well under other bikes in this category AND is an all around reliable great bike to ride. There will always be a review pointing out a bike that has more power, more bells and whistles, more whatever but in the end what ever gets you out riding and puts a smile on your face is what matters. Customizing my V Strom 1000 works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts