Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ADV is coming in later this month. The dealer here in Ohio has a red Standard in stock that is not sold. I'm looking for some opinions from past Strom owners as to which way is "best" to go: STD or ADV? I would guess this is kinda like asking what is the best oil, or chain lube, or tire and so on...... What I'm really asking is, do the aftermarket options offer a better ADV package or would you start with Suzuki's version and build from there? Or, maybe an answer is to buy the ADV model and part out the Suzuki stuff for lower than the ridiculous new Suzuki accessory pricing and upgrade later??

Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
PhilS14,
I pondered the same questions. In the end, I was sick of the talk and took the red Vee2. I am VERY happy. It was $1500 less $$$, and I can buy a lot of farkles for that amount. Also, I do not love the handguards, and read on this site that the skidplate is very cheaply made. Also, for me, I do not need the panniers and have a great Givi V46 from my '11 Wee that I will retrofit as soon as the connecting plate is released by Givi. Also, I was not sure of the aftermarket and how they might connect to the o.e.m. Suzuki engine guards.
There are some companies that made/make highway pegs, and wanted to wait to see how the engine guards/ skidplate/ highway peg thing panned out.

In the end there is no wrong decision. I was under the impression that those that ordered the adventure model were having their bikes delivered without the accessories, and that they were backordered and would be installed when Suzuki released them. Finally, I really like SW Motech and Givi's products, and am waiting to see what they might offer. This is in addition of course to all the fine aftermarket companies both small and large, that support the Vstroms. Good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I own an older wee, but have been of the opinion that I could farkle the bike to my satisfaction for way less than $1,500. But for some guys that might buy Jesse panniers for instance, the $1,500 would go quick. The panniers are going to be the largest expense, so it would depend on what after market setup you were thinking of getting. I am happy with Givi racks and knock-off pelicans, so I'd save a ton. Even if you went with Happy Trails, you'd be into it for $600-$900, still a lot left over for a windshield and engine guards, etc. You could possibly pick up a set of take-off bags from a Glee as some people sell those.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have shared with my wife that Stromtroopers are a frugal bunch with a sprinkling of ingenuity. John V Strom Jr. makes a good point. Not needing side bags was an important consideration for me not to purchase the Adventure model. 99% of the time I do day trips, and don't need the expense/weight/clutter of panniers. When I travel/camp, I utilize my Givi V46 topcase, and drybags strapped to the bike with Rok straps - works for me.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mine will be nekked. I've always seen the addon packages to be overpriced for what basically amounts to having the brand name on them. Aftermarket means big savings, better products.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The bags I saw at the motorcycle show were not acceptable. Way too small for touring. On my wee I have 36 litre GIVI bags, the cheap ones, E36s I think they call them. I am waiting for twisted throttle to come out with a mounting bracket that will take standard GIVI bags, then I can use the ones I currently have. Bags are important so some of us.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Go for the standard, farkle away. And which dealer in central Ohio has one?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't like what i'm hearing as far as the SE model is arriving without all the accessories. I expect the motorcycle to arrive as advertised....I like Suzuki motorcycles but the ancillaries, by that i mean their web site, accessories availability, etc. leave alot to be desired. I went on Yamaha's web site today, it told me everything i needed to know about the tenere, it told me they are giving demo rides during the motogp event here in Austin this weekend, that may be enough to sway my purchase. But then I think maybe they are spending their dollars on R&D and not so much on keeping web site well maintained and current.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't like what i'm hearing as far as the SE model is arriving without all the accessories. I expect the motorcycle to arrive as advertised....I like Suzuki motorcycles but the ancillaries, by that i mean their web site, accessories availability, etc. leave alot to be desired. I went on Yamaha's web site today, it told me everything i needed to know about the tenere, it told me they are giving demo rides during the motogp event here in Austin this weekend, that may be enough to sway my purchase. But then I think maybe they are spending their dollars on R&D and not so much on keeping web site well maintained and current.
Plus, you can get a 2013 S10 for less than a 2014 DL1000. Dealers are blowing them out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
At first I thought that the SE edition was a no brainer...but...as others have stated the aftermarket affords the ability to customize the bike to the owner's particular needs.
Personally I prefer my E21 top loaders for my particular needs, and Givi has an even nicer E22 model out now.
If I don't jump for a 2014 Super Tenere, I think I will get the naked Vee2...if I can. Talked to a couple of dealers who stated they will only be ordering the SE model.
Speaking of the ST, a lovely bike, but in reality WAY more money...if you insist on the 2014.
The big draw for me is the electronic cruise.
I would rather not have spokes and a shaft is nice, but not a deal killer for me.
Test rides are in order when they come in.
Also, I think that having to wait for "parts" to come in to complete your purchase is unconscionable.
The biggest draw for me for the SE is the included centre stand...a must for me
on a chain bike...but that will be available from Suzuki and likely aftermarket.
So, thanx to some of the excellent opinions here, maybe the naked model IS the way to go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
In the case of the V2 I don't care for the bags on the ADV so I bought a khaki standard and will add all of the stuff to my own taste such as aluminum bags and heavier duty skid plate

·
Registered
507 Posts
i agree ,almost bought the adv, changed my mind at the last moment.
the bags on the adv attach with some kind of plastic fitting (wouldn't trust them much as protection )and they seem small. as for the cowl on the bottom its plastic yet again i prefer a aluminum skid plate . hang guards same thing i prefer the bark busters .so after that i pretty much realized that adv would be a waste of money i could use to make the bike what i would do to the adv any way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After buying the adventure version, I'd have to recommend against it. The luggage is way too small,the hand guards are wind guards only, the adventure windshield is 1.5" taller (the only difference from stock), and the lower cowling (definitely not a skid plate of any kind) wouldn't stop a piece of pea gravel. No complaints about the crash bars-the only part of the adventure package that won't get changed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Proud owner of a 14 Standard Red one. :) Test ride and bringing it home on the 19th.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Since this thread got ressurected...

PhilS14, missing that Bandit at all? I'm still enjoying mine, but still thinking about the V2, maybe next year.

How did you farkle yours for luggage? I'm thinking my Givi top box from the Bandit might fit as well as my E-21's. Got to do the math on the other accessories though.

Let me know how things are working out with your V2.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd echo what everyone else has been saying. I bought the adv but only because it was the only one the dealer had in stock and he gave it to me for the price of base model. Took the hand guards off first, they were annoying and of no real benefit. The touring model screen is better than the basic but not by much and is still too low for me (MRA Variotouring screen on order). The bags are nice, very well constructed but, as was mentioned, they are small and the clamshell design is a pain in the butt. If you leave them on the bike as I do, you have to hold everything in place while you close it. I much preferred my old Givi bags, though they don't look quite as nice as the OEM. The crash bars and the skid plate - meh. I don't really go off road so I don't particularly care. All in all, I'd have to say the package gives you too little for the additional cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts