StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like to stand on the pegs and just ride on the '12 adv model. So Im wondering what you might have done to accomodate riding this way.

To be specific about one issue- Ive been wearing light,flexible hiking boots lately. I need a more protective boot. But how would a stiffer boot allow me to shift while standing?

Other things to consider?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
378 Posts
Love riding this way. Like a moving walkway. Nothing between us and the scenery. Shifting is a bit of an issue, but the soles of my riding boots are not very thick, so has not been much of a problem. Main issue is no way to see in the mirrors, but there is a new helmet out that addresses this issue. I just sit down every now and then and stay very aware of traffic.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
You can adjust the position of the shift lever and brake lever to work best with your position and boots.

Taking the slack out of the throttle cable is a help for me when standing.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I really like to stand on the pegs and just ride on the '12 adv model. So Im wondering what you might have done to accomodate riding this way.

Other things to consider?

Thanks,
John
For me, two things:

Higher seat. The transition from sitting to standing on the bike is then more like standing up from a good kitchen chair than from an old slumping sofa.

Taller handlebars. I don't have to stoop once up. I'm tall.

Both have made a big difference.

The difference in foot rotation is less between sitting and standing with the taller seat, maybe, making shifting or braking pretty much the same in either position. Anyway, I have no problem with this and a pair of street-centric boots.

I don't want to steal this thread, but I think you have to be careful here in Ontario by standing on the pegs. Police, and a judge ultimately, may think you are stunting - a really bad deal. So I am led to believe, others may know more.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why not just get a Segway and be done with it?
Think the segway would have a hard time getting over Toulmne Pass and into the backcountry of Utah.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1, that had me laughing :thumbup:

Or maybe a sidecar and have someone else 'drive' while you stand in the sidecar pretend you're Ben Hur in your chariot.
Not me. Those Segways are just plain dangerous!
Give me something safe like an HP 4 or a Hayabusa. :yesnod:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why not just get a Segway and be done with it?
Hmm. You have a point.

I turned 65 last week. Not quite ready for the lift.

Installing the Segway mechanism onto the bike will be my plan for my 75th. Or 80th.

But I like the sidecar and Ben Hur idea better. yee haw!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just got some Sidi Armada boots, and waiting for the snow to melt to try them out :thumbup: I am thinking it may take a while to get use to shifting, but standing up on the stock Wee pegs will be better now with a more firm sole. I am considering getting these Pivot Pegz MK3, Suzuki V-Strom DL650/1000 2004-on - Touratech-USA to see if it helps shifting while standing. The wider surface area will definitely be more comfortable while standing .

Hey BumbleVee....maybe I should buy some, and ride to Illonois :green_lol: See many Stroms in Cambodia?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I stand a lot on dirt. Just makes the bike easier to handle. I'm tall , I put the tallest bars I could find on , and lowered my feet a smidge with GL1800 pegs. They don't take to kindly to standing while riding on the streets around here , but I rode half way across Nebraska last year on the pegs (in part to give my butt a rest). I recently bought First Gear Kathmandu boots , and have been pleased with them to this point. Better than hiking boots , but not as rigid as MX style boots. My only complaint/concern when standing has been pointed out already , you can't see behind you.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Adventure boots have some flex at the ankle and flex at the ball of the foot due to a shorter steel shaft in the sole. MX boots have little flex at the ankle and a longer steel shaft for little toe flex. Even with an MX boot you can still easily up shift while standing, weather on the ground or 30' up. It's all about body position and bent knees.

·
Registered
566 Posts
When going on a trip where I'll be on the pegs a lot, I change my stock mirrors for Ken Sean folding mirrors. They easily adjust on the fly. So once I hit the dirt, I adjust the left one for standing and leave the right one for sitting.

They are fairly blurry at hwy speed, but good enough to know someone is behind you. Plus the great benefit of if I go down hard the mirrors well just fold away and not break or break the mounts.

Cost around $20

Good boots designed for off-road will also make a huge deference. I just purchased Alpinstar Toucans. Looking forward to giving them a good workout.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts