Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the conditions:
2013 DL650ADV
Tank is full.
All recalls complete at 40k miles. Full tuneup at same mileage
Bike now has 51k on it.
Weather 100+ sunny, bike has to be outside stored for now.
Battery is 11.7V (drops slowly due to lighting draw) with bike on engine off and 13.5-13.7 running.

I was making short runs doing errands. 1/2 mile between stops. It stalled on me in gear and started right back up. It died again as I stopped at an intersection and fired right back up. It ran a bit rough for 10 sec or so then normal. Made next stop and went the 3 miles home without issue.

I rode it to work today and it died once in gear again and fired itself back up, did the 10 sec of rough then smooth. Did 5 miles after to see if it did it again and it ran fine.

This sound familiar to anyone here?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will take it on a 50 mile after work today. Highway speeds (65ish) might show something?

I have a friend on standby in case it quits on me completely. Thankfully, I brought a trailer out here with me.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Here are the conditions:
2013 DL650ADV
Tank is full.
All recalls complete at 40k miles. Full tuneup at same mileage
Bike now has 51k on it.
Weather 100+ sunny, bike has to be outside stored for now.
Battery is 11.7V (drops slowly due to lighting draw) with bike on engine off and 13.5-13.7 running.

I was making short runs doing errands. 1/2 mile between stops. It stalled on me in gear and started right back up. It died again as I stopped at an intersection and fired right back up. It ran a bit rough for 10 sec or so then normal. Made next stop and went the 3 miles home without issue.

I rode it to work today and it died once in gear again and fired itself back up, did the 10 sec of rough then smooth. Did 5 miles after to see if it did it again and it ran fine.

This sound familiar to anyone here?

Check the clutch and side stand safety switches.

Reactions: gdcpony

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Do you get any notifications on the dash when the motor quits ?

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Could be a potential TPS issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took her out and went 50ish miles from 29 Palms to Yucca Valley and back through Joshua Tree Natl Park. Speed varied from 25 to 70mph and temps from 108* (that seat gets hot!!!) to 85*. I played with different throttle holds from wide open to barely cracked.

I did not get a repeat of the stall out. I did get a "stumbling" twice with the throttle barely open at 50mph. Almost like it picked up that I had it open then thought I had closed it. Almost like a miss if this makes any sense. It did that twice in the first 10min then not again no matter how I tried to simulate the condition.

Any of this sound familiar?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish I could edit. I have no indicator lights. I don't have the tools (2600 miles from my garage) to check a lot, but the stand and clutch sensor SEEM to be working (tested by me engaging them to see if the bike does what it should for each). I don't know anything about the TPS on these bikes. I have tuned them on EFI OBDI cars it that is similar.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Try to edit now. ;)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Can you elaborate what throttle position you had when the bike stalled. That may shed some light on whether it may be the TPS. They do wear out and most wear is at low throttle opening. Thus typical problems are poor low rev manners.

Another item to check are battery terminal and ground connections.

Also possible a chafed wire somewhere under the tank or front causing intermittent shorts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try to edit now. ;)
Thanks.
Can you elaborate what throttle position you had when the bike stalled. That may shed some light on whether it may be the TPS. They do wear out and most wear is at low throttle opening. Thus typical problems are poor low rev manners.

Another item to check are battery terminal and ground connections.

Also possible a chafed wire somewhere under the tank or front causing intermittent shorts.
The first time I wasn't expecting it, but where I was I would say they were all nearly closed.

The terminals I could check and were tight and look pretty good. Grounds I can't say or a chafed wire except where it is visible all together. I don't see any.

Just to shed a little light on why I might be unable to do all things. I am 2600 away from my house at a military course in CA. I got to bring my truck, trailer, and Strom with me, but aside from a few odd hand tools, I am tool-less. Also unless I go to the base auto shop, which has odd hours, I have nowhere I can tear anything apart. I graduate later this month and head back to NC then.

Since my daughter is flying out to make a trip of the return with me and wants a couple "bike detours" along the way, I really need to see what I can do to fix this. Actually, I just want a second driver and some conversation. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 04 DL1000 was doing the dying randomly at small throttle openings thing. Digging into it, it seemed like the likely culprit was the secondary TPS. I changed both TPS's for good measure and that seemed to fix it. I had it done by the local dealership because I'm not a good mechanic and so can't offer any insight into adjustments etc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just as an idea, you might pick up a small bottle of Star Tron enzyme fuel additive. If you've got some questionable fuel out there, this may really help. I've had the fuel in my chainsaw get old so the saw wouldn't start, but a teaspoon of Star Tron in the tank cleaned and freshened everything up so that it started and ran just fine. Same with my generator. If you are having some beginning issues from TPS wear, an ounce of the stuff in a full tank may let you run without any issues until you get home and time to really check out the TPS. If it is going to work, you'll know right away after you add it to your gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts