StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

I bought my used DL650K4 a couple of months ago with 4000 miles on it. Since then I have put on about 1200 miles. When the bike is cold, it has a bad habit of stalling when I pull the clutch in until I get a mile or two down the road. It doesn't do it all the time. I've tried to let it warm up for a minute or two before throwing a leg over, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I had hoped a fuel injected bike would eliminate this sort of thing. I didn't get a manual from the dealer with this used bike. Can someone shed a little light on the issue? The last thing I want to do is pull into traffic then stall.

Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats definitely unacceptable. not sure if you have any warranty left but try bringing it in? mine sometimes varies a few hundred rpm either way but nothing close to stalling....the bike really requires no warmup if things are normal.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agree - check the idle speed, but also check the clutch lever/cable adjustment (see your manual). Maybe it isn't releasing fully. You say it gets better after riding for a while. Riding will warm things up faster and also warm up the "back stuff" like tranny and clutch.

Then, since it has 4000 miles, do an oil/filer change so you know what is in there - just in case!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wanted to re-light this one, because mine, at similar miles, developed similar bad effect and it is getting, very gradually worse. its a cold 'stumble', and with all due respect, bumping idle is the wrong thing to do, as it simply masks underlying issues.

either coincidentally or otherwise, as this condition manifests, I have also been getting more and more vibe from the motor. it seems to come on noticably at 5000 rpm, and increases from there.

if any of the mechanics out there have an idea, pls pass it on.

zapp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Zapp,

Sounds like it is time to synchronize things. Search the forum for TBS (throttle body sync) and TPS(throttle position sensor sync).

Good luck -tell us how it gets resolved

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would agree with Tinman, that a TBS and TPS would be the first place to look and that the throttle body boots are seated and secured properly.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For weeks, my 650 when cold would drop to to 1K rpm and sometimes stall. It seemed to be getting worst as the weather got cooler. It would stall two or three times.

I found if I start the bike while the FI is still priming it idles perfect when cold (zero or one bar). 50 degrees this morning and no stalls or off idle speed.

When the bike is warm (two or three bars) I wait to start till after the prime is finished.

Chas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts