StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 DL650 w/ 35xxx miles.

The bike will stall upon acceleration from a stop. I roll on the throttle, get going, and the bike stalls (not an early clutch release issue). I have to turn the bike off and then on before I can start it again.

Otherwise, the bike seems to be running perfectly. Idle is good, no hesitation. The issue only presents itself during the initial acceleration from a stop.

Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Do you have any messages showing on the dash ?

Have put it in dealer mode and looked for codes ?

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Idle speed is good and steady @ 1,300 rpm. I'll check the TPS. I'm also hoping to be in a situation when it happens next to be able to pull to the side and check the FI code before have to turn the bike off so I can restart it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You will have to carry the spare ignition key with you, unless you wire in a toggle switch. Fuel pump or something else?. The minute that you turn off the ignition, to unlock the seat, the dealer mode clears. The good news is that you can ride your bike while in dealer mode. You basically loose the clock display in lue for the dealer mode code, for the duration while riding in dealer mode. Removing the dealer mode link, restores the clock displaying the time again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couple of things I'd try... Independently then revert before doing next one...

Bridge the clutch switch
Bridge the kickstand switch
If once moving you give it hard acceleration does it cut out?
Check tip over sensor for operation and orientation
If moving at a slow speed in a high gear and give it a fistful (I. E. Lugging engine) does it stall

Can you get a Video of it happening?

Sounds to me like a cutout is activating. Or you are too aggressive with clutch release.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
. I have to turn the bike off and then on before I can start it again.
I'm interested in this, does that mean just hitting the start button will not start the bike ?

Will it crank but not fire ?

Do you need to switch on and off the ignition switch in order to get the bike running or will the kill switch work too ?

When the bike will not start does your horn and indicators still work ?

Have you checked your battery cables are clean and tight ?, on bikes they can work loose but unlike a car the bike will still start.

You should also try resetting the TPS by rotating the throttle grip fully a few times with the ignition off then see if you have any improvement in performance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I might answer a couple of questions before I disclose what I found out this morning on my morning ride.

This issue only presents when accelerating from a complete stop; such as a stop light or a stop sign.

It's not a shifting/clutch release issue and it doesn't matter how aggressively I launch from the stop.

The idle is sufficient and steady.

When the event occurs, the engine stalls, the FI like eliminates and the display tells me I haven't FI error.

After the bike stalls, disengaging the clutch and pressing the starter button results in nothing happening ... the starter will not try to restart the engine. I must turn the bike off turn the bike back on and then the bike will start normally.

As best as I can remember, this typically only happens one time during a ride, usually within the first 5 or 10 miles of my journey. It doesn't happen on every ride.

On my way to work this morning it happened. I pulled over, whipped out my paperclip and got the code. The FI code is C23.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bank angle sensor/tip over sensor makes sense. When that trips you cant restart the bike until after you have completely turned off the motorcycle.

I took a look under the seat and discovered that at some point I had removed the bank angle sensor from its retaining clips ... it was just laying there behind the battery. I put it back where it belongs.

We'll see if that solves the problem.

I'm guessing the loose sensor was oriented in such a way that the initial force from accelerating from a stop was sufficient for the sensor to think that the bike was going over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts