StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona and leave my bike outside for work. Recently when it gets particularly hot outside the bike will die while driving! It feels like the power is giving out, its not jerky and electronics stay on. Typically the worst around 40 mph. Anyone know what can cause this behavior?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do the same and I've had no problems. I'm guessing it might be an air and/or a fuel issue? Is the air filter clean? Injectors or fuel filter?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Does it stalll? Is it intermittent?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Vapor lock? Fuel filter? Dirty air filter? What if you pulled over and popped open the gas cap? I ride in Phoenix and have done 116 degrees with never an issue in thousands of miles.

Outbackwack

·
Registered
18-1000, 13-650
1,240 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few years back when bike sat outside with low fuel and hot temps. Made it to a gas station and filled up and problem solved. Assumed it had a case of the vapors...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Fuel vapour would give more trouble trying to start the bike than it would at 40 mph.

Will the bike fire right up after the stall ?

·
RazzleH
217 Posts
Fuel vapour would give more trouble trying to start the bike than it would at 40 mph.

Will the bike fire right up after the stall ?
I've experienced vacuum in the fuel tank under similar circumstances or on longer rides (not with the V-Strom though), particularly if the bike had been parked in the sun for a while when the tank was full. Fill up, park in the sun while having lunch. My thought is that heat while parked followed by constant/faster fuel usage created vacuum in the fuel tank because the tank vent was blocked or not operating properly.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I've experienced vacuum in the fuel tank under similar circumstances or on longer rides (not with the V-Strom though), particularly if the bike had been parked in the sun for a while when the tank was full. Fill up, park in the sun while having lunch. My thought is that heat while parked followed by constant/faster fuel usage created vacuum in the fuel tank because the tank vent was blocked or not operating properly.
That is why I asked if the bike fired straight back up.

If the breather is blocked the bike will need to sit for a while or have the fuel cap opened before it will start again.

I have a funny story about a blocked fuel cap.

Reactions: RazzleH
1 - 8 of 8 Posts