StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

My new-to-me bike from April has a FLO stainless steel, reusable oil filter and it is coming up on the first oil/filter change since I bought it. I would never buy such a device because I like the convenience of tossing the old filter but since it came with the bike I am considering cleaning it and reusing it. On the other hand, I have read mixed reviews on whether these filters are good or bad for a street bike so I am thinking of junking it for a standard paper filter. Any thoughts, opinions or advice?

Regards,
David

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
Here is more than you ever needed to know about air and oil filters by Cal-Sci in a study specifically made on behalf of a large construction/mining company looking to economize on the maintenance costs of their fleet of vehicles.

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

In a nutshell the reusable stainless steel replacements cannot and will not give equal protection. Stick to an OEM or proven quality equivalent.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
How about cleaning it and run the oil a couple thousand miles and send the oil in for analysis? Then run a spin on filter and do the same. Then you will know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Thanks,

Good article Brockie. I did not know that Mobil 1 filters, which I have been using in my Toyotas recently, will fit on the Tenere.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
ST, I really like my '14 DL1K. Yet I'm intrigued by the Super Tenere'. I'll have to test-ride one at a local dealer here.
"I did not know that Mobil 1 filters, which I have been using in my Toyotas recently, will fit on the Tenere."

When Mazda released their Sky-active engines, there was a new oil filter to be used on them. For 2 years the Sky-active engines were sold alongside the conventional engine. Mazda issued a TSB warning stating that even though the filters were the same physically and would fit either, the conventional engine oil filters were not to be used on the Sky-active engines due to different flow characteristics.
The Sky-active engines use an extreme form of variable cam-timing(40 degrees advanced to 40 degrees retarded), and the conventional oil filters supposedly interfered with variable cam timing sprocket's internal operation.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'd personally not use a reusable filter.

1. SS mesh is porous and will not filter down to the micron level a paper element will.
2. Cleaning SS filters properly taken an ultrasonic cleaner.
3. Cleaning/drying a reusable filter takes time. A lot more time than spinning on a new fresh filter
4. Most of the SS reusable filters I've seen are in the $80 range. Couple that with the cost of an ultrasonic cleaner (not a HF jewelry cleaner), detergent and the time investment and you'll find your reusable filer is about 10X the cost of a disposable filter and doesn't do as good of a job.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
If I was riding in third world country's, having the ss screen filter as a backup might be a good idea. But in the more seemingly civilized portion of the world we have many choices for our bikes:

oil filters
* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
* Cycle Power 314-1919
* Emgo 10-55662
* Emgo 10-55660
* Fram PH6018
* Hi-Flo HF138
* J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
* K&N 138
* NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
* Per-Form J-509
* ProPart 01-0029
* Purolator ML16818
* STP SMO-18
* Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
* VESRAH vsf-3009

-oil filter crossover list by Greywolf-

·
Registered
352 Posts
Very good article Rick! https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

I have always used HiFlo filters and have to rethink that now.
As with other independent lab tests it proves that K&N air filters are all hype. With world class sales and marketing.
And their oil filters are HiFlo products at double or more the HiFlo price.

I run synthetic and change both oil and filter religiously at 4K miles. I'd rather throw 40 bucks at keeping the oil and filter ahead of the curve than a grand on potential repairs.
But based on this report that is too often. Is that the right take?

BTW, my fork stabilizer came a couple of days ago. Excellent product Rick!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Coach, many years ago Motorcycle Consumer News tested a K&N, Uni-filter, and stock Kawasaki air filter on a Kaw 4 cylinder, I dont remember which model.
The K&N had the least restriction, but the worst filtration of the 3. The oem filter had the most restriction but the best filtration. The Uni-filter was somewhere in the middle on both counts. But... the difference in airflow between the most and the least wasnt all that much, but the filtration difference was considerably higher. I'll take the oem air filter every time, just as I do with the oem oil filters.
As for too often...unless you have a separate gearbox, the same oil services both the engine, transmission, and the wet clutch. All 3 contribute to contaminants in the oil. I'll spend the extra $$ to keep it all clean with a smile on my face.

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
The Sky-active engines use an extreme form of variable cam-timing(40 degrees advanced to 40 degrees retarded), and the conventional oil filters supposedly interfered with variable cam timing sprocket's internal operation.
I bet the activation of the variable Cam timing uses the oil as a hydraulic actuation (Porsche's variable valve timing does as well) and that the relief valve in the filter has a different pressure rating.

..Tom

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about cleaning it and run the oil a couple thousand miles and send the oil in for analysis? Then run a spin on filter and do the same. Then you will know.
I was hoping someone had already done this test but haven't come across anything definitive until now at Brockie's link.

Here is more than you ever needed to know about air and oil filters by Cal-Sci in a study specifically made on behalf of a large construction/mining company looking to economize on the maintenance costs of their fleet of vehicles https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html In a nutshell the reusable stainless steel replacements cannot and will not give equal protection. Stick to an OEM or proven quality equivalent.
Wow, you weren't kidding, more than I wanted to know at that site. I think I am going to just go with OEM filter for now and sell the FLO steel mesh filter. They list over $100 so maybe I can sell it for $50 to someone else and buy the adapter so then I can use the high-quality filters recommended at CalSci.

Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Jeeze just buy 4 pack of HiFlo 138's off Amazon for $31.30 shipped and your good for the next 20,000+ miles. You're waaaay over thinking a simple cartridge filter.

Honestly if you could find a WalMArt brand SuperTech filter that would fit they consistently get great reviews and cost about $3 per. Actually ST for my daughters Hyundai is $2.74

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeeze just buy 4 pack of HiFlo 138's off Amazon for $31.30 shipped and your good for the next 20,000+ miles. You're waaaay over thinking a simple cartridge filter. Honestly if you could find a WalMArt brand SuperTech filter that would fit they consistently get great reviews and cost about $3 per. Actually ST for my daughters Hyundai is $2.74
What oil do you recommend?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts